Postcard For Reader

Friday Favorites -- Wicked

Friday Favorites, started by yours truly, has people state one of their favorite books every Friday. Because... it's fun. And interesting.And because favorite and Friday rhyme. And yes, other bloggers can do it, too!

Wicked
Gregory Maguire

An astonishingly rich re-creation of the land of Oz, this book retells the story of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, who wasn't so wicked after all. Taking readers past the yellow brick road and into a phantasmagoric world rich with imagination and allegory, Wicked just might change the reputation of one of the most sinister characters in literature.

Okay, I'll admit it, I love the musical much more than I'll ever love the book. But it's made my favorites list simply because it's written so differently and the characters are so vivid! Wicked never fails to engage me, be it the first time I read it or the fifth time I read it.

My Friday Favorites seem to walk hand in hand with my favorite characters, mainly because characters are what make a novel. Elphaba, for me, has become one of my favorite female characters of all time, right under Jacky Faber from Bloody Jack.

And we all know how I rank the Bloody Jack series. ^^

Happy reading, guys (and dolls)!

~Nicole