Postcard For Reader

Final Fridays - Ellen Hopkins

Perhaps she's visited your school.
Or maybe you've seen her books on the New York Time's Bestseller's list?
There's also a chance you own them.

'cause, you know, they kind of rock my socks off.

Yes, it's Ellen Hopkins - and she's visiting WORD!

'ello, Ellen! What inspired you to write in the style you write in? What inspired you to write the stories you did?
Inspiration and amazing stories are everywhere--friends, family, in the news, readers' stories, even. I pull threads of real life into most of my fiction. I first decided to write verse novel because CRANK (my first novel and loosely based on my daughter's story of meth addiction) seemed all wrong voice-wise in prose. I'd heard Sonya Sones, another verse novelist speak, and it hit me that poetry (which I've always written) might serve the story better. It did. And then I discovered a talent for it.

And everybody is so glad you did. On the topic of addictions... what are /you/ addicted to?
Coffee. Chocolate. My home in northern Nevada.

Choooooccccooolllaaattteee. What's your favorite unhealthy addiction/substance to write about?

I don't know if it's a favorite, but because it was such a big part of my life (through my daughter's addiction), I've become something of an expert on crystal meth and hope to turn readers away from it. It has destroyed more lives than most people realize.

Saint Ellen Hopkins - She Who Saves Lives Through Writing. On the mention of destroyed lives... or at least those who the paparazzi destroys... whose your celebrity crush?

Johnny Depp. He's brilliant. And beautiful. And totally unattainable.

You're my new best friend. I ADORE Johnny Depp. What are your favorite TV shows?

I like reality TV like Idol and Survivor. As far as regular TV, we watch Lost, 30 Rock and cable fare like Dexter and True Blood.

I'm a huge Idol fan. I'm also dying to watch True Blood, but I'm waiting to get that on DVD. Alright... which would you rather do - fly to Italy, bus across America, or take a cruise around the Caribbean?

I'd fly to Italy, then see it by train and bicycle.

Italy is gorgeous. What are some of your favorite books to read? Least favorite?

I'm a big Stephen King fan and have read almost all of his books. I also love Annie Lamott's nonfiction stuff. If I mention my least favorite, people will probably say I'm jealous. (I'm most definitely not!) Let's just say they have to do with not-scary vampires and a wimpy protagonist who needs to learn to live happily without a guy in her life. Guys are great, don't get me wrong. But girls (and guys, too!), never make someone else central to who YOU are. Develop a great sense of self and love will come looking for you.

Five bucks says half the fans won't be able to figure out what that means... but I agree with ya to an extent, Ellen. Today, it's the "Ellen Hopkins Gets To Make Up Her Own Final Question" Question!
Okay, here it is: If you could change anything about your life, what would it be?

My answer: Not a thing. Because changing any one thing would most definitely put me somewhere else right now. And I love where I am.

Love ya, Ellen. Keep on writin'.

~N