Postcard For Reader

The Chosen One

The Chosen One
Author: Carol Lynch Williams
Series: ---
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
How Received: library

"If I was going to kill the Prophet," I say, not keeping my voice low, "I'd do it in Africa."

Her mother is the third wife to her father; she's the oldest girl of all 21 of the children. Kyra is thirteen, and she has been Chosen to marry her sixty year old uncle.

When her whole family as it as stake, dare she rebel to live the life she wants?
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
Gregory Maguire said, "The Chosen One makes the heart race, the teeth grind, and the brow bead up in sweat." Now, I love Maguire, and the book was excellent, but I'm not so sure I would go that far. (Well. Maybe for the last few chapters.)

The novel itself was excellent. Though I've never lived in a polygamist colony and never plan to, I do hope it was a solid interpretation of one. I love Kyra's devotion to her family, but her overall devotion to herself and doing what she knew was right for her.

The only thing that bothered me was the occasional flashbacks to previous times. Overall, they worked fine, but there were one or two times where I wasn't sure if it was a flashback or the present.

Overall Rating & Final Comments: 9/10 - a quick, but deep, read.
Cover Comments: A rather well designed cover, if I do say so myself.

~ Nicole