Postcard For Reader

Favorites and Least Favorites

We've all got 'em. Our favorite heroes and heroines, our favorite love interests, our favorite this-and-that.

For the sake of the length of this blog post, I'm going to stick to my favorite and least favorite heroines. From books. That should cut it down to about... one long blog post. =3

Favorite Heroines:

Jacky - Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer
(Favorite. Character. Ever.)

"A girl what's born for hangin' ain't likely to be drowned."

Elphaba - Wicked by Gregory Maguire
(Also seen, albeit a much different interpretation, in the Broadway musical.)

“People always did like to talk, didn’t they? That’s why I call myself a witch now: the Wicked Witch of the West, if you want the full glory of it. As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefit of it? It liberates you from convention.”

Lessa - Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey

"Look around you Lessa of Pern, look around the Weyr with unveiled eyes. Old and hallowed is the Weyr? Yes, but shabby and worn – and disregarded. Yes, you were elated to sit in the Weyrwoman’s great chair at the Council Table, but the padding is thin and the fabric dusty. Humbled to think your hands rest where Moreta’s and Torene’s had rested? Well, the stone is ingrained with dirt and needs a good scrubbing. And your rump may rest where theirs did – but that’s not where you have your brains."

Rose - Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

"Yeah. We were badasses."

"No one had ever called me unnatural before, except for the time I put ketchup on a taco."

Holly Short - Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

"Hey, Mulch, if you listen really hard you can just about make out the sound of nobody giving a hoot."

Of course, the list could go on for much longer...

Least Favorite Heroines:

Bella - Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

"It was hard to believe that someone so beautiful could be real. I was afraid that he might disappear in a sudden puff of smoke, and I would wake up."

Zoey - Marked by P.C. and Kristin Cast

"The door opened and oh my dear sweet lord I do believe my heart totally stopped beating."

Maggie - Shelter Me by Alex McAulay
*no quote available*

Hmm. Perhaps next Tuesday shall spawn my favorite love interests? We'll see, we'll see...

Who're some of your favorite heroines?