Postcard For Reader

Prada and Prejudice

Prada and Prejudice
Author: Mandy Hubbard
Series: ---
Publisher: Penguin Group
How Received: library

Callie wants nothing more than to fit in on this stupid trip. And what better way to fit in then to get a pair of Prada pumps!? Not even the nastiest girl can touch her if she has a pair of those amazing shoes.

Of course, nobody can quite touch her if she's transported back to the times of corsets and carriages, either. And with a stuck up, handsome duke named Alex and an engaged-against-her-will girl named Emily thrown into the mix - well, things can get interesting.
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
I adore Pride and Prejudice and was rather looking forward to this. And I enjoyed it - mostly.

Prada and Prejudice takes the basic elements of the original P&P and condenses it into a much shorter book with just as much (if not more!) crammed in. I rather wish each part had been explored further, because it made the characters, which would have sparkled, fall a little bit flat. Alex fell for Callie just a bit too quickly; Emily was just a little too airheaded - it just didn't play out as well as it could have.

And on the mention of Callie...

I don't know. I couldn't connect to her until the very end, and even then, I lost that connection as soon as she was transported back to the 21st century. I didn't see her grow as a character at all - she was transported back in time after intending to show the girls she could fit in and kind of one-up them, and when she came back? The first thing she did was show the girls she could fit in and one-uped them. It made me sad.

Also, Ms. Hubbard? Mandy? I love you, but the first time you're in a corset, you're not going to be wanting to eat dinner. The second time, you're not going to be able to dance for several hours. I loved the scenes, but... sorry. It irked me.

Overall Rating & Final Reviews: 7/10. Despite it's flaws, I did enjoy it - it's quirky and cute, but essentially just fluff.
Cover Notes: I. Love. Those. Shoes.(The Prada pumps, obviously.)