Postcard For Reader

Interview: Shari Maurer

Happy Saturday, everybody! Visiting WORD today is Shari Maurer, author of Change of Heart and one of our lovely Tenners! (Whoo, 2k10!)

Here's the summary of Change of Heart. Doesn't it sound awesome?

When you’re 16 years old, it never occurs to you that you might die. Emmi Miller’s got a fabulous life. She has tons of friends, does great in school and is an all-star soccer player who played in Europe last summer. It even looks like Sam Hunter, a totally cute baseball player, might be interested in her. And then she gets a virus. No biggy, right? Until the virus goes to her heart and weakens it so much that, without a transplant, Emmi will die.

Will Emmi get a heart in time? Is Sam too good to be true? What about her new friend Abe, who has also had a transplant and guides her through these scary times — is he just being supportive or is there more going on between them? And will Emmi realize it before it’s too late?

And to make me love her even more, she's from NYC. AUTHOR WIN.

Just click 'read more' to continue on with the interview! And, as always,

What inspired you to write Change of Heart?
My husband is a cardiologist who cares for patients waiting for transplants. One day he and his patient were featured on a Discovery Health program that Dr. Oz was doing. Also on the program was a little girl. I watched her face as she was wheeled into the OR, unsure if she would live or die and I was haunted by it. I knew I wanted to write a YA book, so I started thinking about what if she were a teen and Emmi was born.

Do you think the cover of Change of Heart matches the tone of the book?
I do. I had no idea what they were going to do for the cover, but when I saw it, I knew it was right.

QUICK! What is your FAVORITE quote from Change of Heart?
"So in order for me to live, someone else has to die? How do you wish for that? How do you not?" (quote is approximate!)

Ooo. I like that quote. Now, you worked on international versions of Sesame Street. Who is your favorite Sesame Street character?
Cookie Monster. Though I have a soft spot for Ernie, too.

What's your favorite part about being a Tenner?
I am lucky to be part of The Tenners and The Class of 2K10. What's amazing is the camaraderie and the ability to have even my silliest questions answered by people who are living exactly what I am living right now.

On the mention on the Tenners... what is your favorite book that came out/is coming out this year? Yours aside, of course!
I'm slowly making my way through The Tenner and the Class of 2K10 books. So far I'm awed by the talent of my fellow debut writers. Hard to pick a favorite--it's been an amazing year.

Who is your favorite person to follow on Twitter?
My Class of 2K10 mate Shannon Delany (@shannon_delany). Between hearing about her adventure publishing 13 to Life to listening to her detailing her farm chores (she raises heritage livestock when not writing or promoting her book) to her sharing industry wisdom, her Tweets are always interesting.

I also love how two of my writing idols. Sarah Dessen (@sarahdessen) and Laurie Halse Anderson (@halseanderson), share little tidbits from their writing and non-writing lives.

When the apocalypse comes, what do YOU plan on doing?
Huddling close with my family and hoping for the best.

Good plan.
Thanks for stopping by, Shari! Don't forget to pick up Change of Heart from your local bookstore, or order it online.