Postcard For Reader

Guest Post: John M. Cusick

This has got to be my favorite guest post yet.

John M. Cusick, author of Girl Parts, is stopping by today to celebrate the release of his book! I got to interview him a few weeks ago - he's a fantastic, very funny guy.

And you should read this guest post, because it's my favorite guest post yet. It's funny and fun to read.

Just click read more to read it. DO IT. You know you want to.

And don't forget to pick up Girl Parts from stores today!

“A Brief Literary Discussion, on a Raft”

So there I was, floating down a river with my two buddies. We were wearing sunglasses and straw hats. Our boat was a dead palmetto we’d rolled into the water. Riding it out to sea seemed like a good idea.

We had no idea what we were doing.

Instead of thinking about that, we talked about books.

“See, the thing about Twilight is, Bella takes herself so seriously,” I was saying. “That’s why those books are so popular. Because secretly, we all take ourselves seriously.”

Aaron, who was chewing on a blade of grass, said, “Do you guys like those books?”

Evan and I said no, we didn’t.

“J.K. Rowling. Now there’s a lady who can mobilize your emotions,” said Evan, pulling a palmetto splinter out of his thigh. “Except I hated how Harry was such a whiney jerk in book six.”

“Current’s getting stronger,” said Aaron.

“You guys read Goosebumps?” Evan asked.

“There was a kid at my high school who used to yell the titles at the younger kids,” I said. “He’d go Hey Freshman, welcome to dead house!”

“Hey Freshman,” said Evan, “Say cheese and die!”

I changed the subject. “Okay. Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer?”

“Huck Finn,” Aaron and Evan said in unison.

We’d passed the beach and were now officially out at sea. I dropped my sunglasses and watched helplessly as they sank.

“We should probably swim back.”

We abandoned our craft and watched it float toward Barbados. We were quiet for awhile, bobbing in the surf, then Evan said, “That Alice in Wonderland movie was a real disappointment.”

“Yeah,” said Aaron and I.

Then we swam back to shore.