Postcard For Reader

Final Fridays - Sophie Jordan
Guess who's stopping by today?!

No, not Chuck Norris. Good guess.

We have somebody JUST as awesome, though! Sophie Jordan has stopped by today to answer a few questions about her debut YA, Firelight! I had the opportunity to read it early, and it was faaantastic. It just came out this month - you should really pick it up. Read my review; if that doesn't convince you, just surf around the web. It's gotten fantastic reviews.

Oh, you want to know what it's about?

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.

So keep reading! If you haven't read Firelight, you'll learn a little more - and if you have, well, you'll get a sneak peek into who we'll be seeing in the sequel!

N: Welcome to WORD, Sophie! Let's get this interview rolling. With a dare. I dare you to summarize Firelight in 140 characters, Twitter-style.

SJ: Firelight=quest 4 self tale sprinkled w/ "steamy" romance, action, fam issues, HS drama, unique para abilities + high speed flight.

N: Which of the characters in Firelight do you relate to the least?
SJ: I wrote each character from some place deep inside me, so I guess there’s some part of me, good and bad, in each of them. But I would have to go with Severin. Nothing too redeeming about him. He really behaves as a dictator over the pride. Even though he isn’t seen a whole lot on the pages of Firelight, readers will see more of him. Like it or not. (insert evil cackle).

N: You were an English teacher. What was your favorite thing to teach?
SJ: Well, I loved the entire unit I taught on Arthurian legends. How did the romantic in me not love that? I also loved the mythology unit I taught. Such shocking material! Those naughty Greek gods! And all those mortals doing such terrible deeds (usually as a result of a meddling god or demigod)... incest, suicide, murder... It’s intense stuff! Yes, I could definitely come up with a mythology-based story someday...

N: I love both Arthurian legend and Greek mythology. I probably would have loved your class. What is your favorite television show?
SJ: I have several favorite shows. Both dramas and comedies. The Office, Trueblood. Oh, and I adore iCarly. I even have favorite “quality” reality shows. Yes, I differentiate, preferring skill-based reality competition shows like Project Runway and Top Chef. And just an aside, I never feel guilty about watching TV. Television helps generate ideas. I call it market research! ;)

N: What can we look forward to in Firelight's sequel? Will we see more of Cassian? Will?
SJ: Hmmm. Well. The second book opens with a big twist! A good portion of the book is set in the pride, Jacinda’s draki home. Jacinda is going to come across a little differently, as she should after the events of book one. You’ll see more of Cassian and other draki characters you didn’t get to see too much of in book one. Like Az and even Miram, Cassian’s sister. Oh, and Corbin... yeah... Corbin… can’t forget him.

There’s a lot more action... and steam – I’ll let you wonder if I’m talking about Jacinda’s fire-breathing ways or steamy scenes with a certain boy! Maybe it’s both!

Oooo, you're leaving me wanting more! If you haven't read Firelight, be sure to pick it up at your local bookstore or order it online. It's worth the money. And thanks to Sophie for taking time out of her (super busy) schedule to stop by!