Postcard For Reader

Interview: E.J. Stevens

Today, we have a special guest stopping by!

E.J. Stevens is the author of She Smells The Dead, a paranormal in which the main character Yuki quite literally sniffs out the dead.

It's the beginning of senior year and Yuki's psychic awareness of ghostly spirits is threatening to ruin her life. Her ability to sense spirits of the dead isn't glamorous like the ghost hunting on television.

She smells the dead.

The smell impressions are becoming stronger. Yuki is being visited in her dreams, and she suspects that her friend Calvin is involved in something strange. To make matters worse her crush on Garrett is going unrequited, Yuki's friend Emma is on a rampage against bee oppression, and annoying Calvin Miller mysteriously disappears.

Will Yuki be able to focus her powers in time to save the lost soul who is haunting her? Meanwhile, who will save Yuki from following the spirits into the light?

And hey! If you like that summary, read the interview, comment, and come back at noon - I have a giveaway, courtesy of E.J. herself!

N: Welcome to WORD, E.J.! Do you have a favorite character in She Smells The Dead?
EJ: I have a special connection with each of my characters and am especially fond of Yuki. Yuki was originally based on myself at her age, but the things she must face during this series push her to grow and develop her own personality. My love for Yuki may seem a bit egocentric, but I truly admire her strength and determination.

N: What is your spirit animal?
EJ: My spirit animal is the red-tailed hawk. In many cultures hawks are thought to be messengers and have the ability to awaken visionary power and guide you to your life purpose. The hawk is also believed to be a catalyst for new ideas. When I am having a case of writer's block, I will close my eyes and picture a red-tailed hawk flying to me carrying a new story idea.

N: What inspired you to have Yuki smell the dead, rather than just sense it?
EJ: The idea for She Smells the Dead originally came to me while walking past the overgrown graveyard beside my home. I was overwhelmed by a strong smell and suddenly wondered what it would be like to have a psychic connection with spirits of the dead that came in the form of smells, rather than sight or sound.

N: What's your favorite song?
EJ: Such a difficult question! I listen to an eclectic mix of goth, industrial, EBM, electronica, world music, folk, down tempo, and shoe gaze. The song I currently have on perpetual play is "Without Emotions" by Combichrist, though I wouldn't say it is my favorite song of all time. Have I mentioned what a difficult question this is? LOL! If I had to distill my answer into one song it would have to be "Tristan" by Patrick Wolf, but there are so many fabulous music artists out there that I owe a huge debt of gratitude for giving me inspiration.

N: How about your favorite movie?
EJ: My favorite movie is Amelie starring Audrey Tautou.

N: If you had to choose, which one of your characters would you spend the day with and why?
EJ: I would love to spend the day with Simon. His roguish personality and good looks make him an easy choice. *wink*

N: What animal is most likely able to take over the world and why?
EJ: Corgis will someday rule the world. I say this from experience. My corgi Maya absolutely rules my home and if they ever begin to work together, then we are facing Corgi World Domination. I suggest investing in tennis balls, dog biscuits, and lots and lots of plushie toys. Be prepared to appease the Corgi overlords!

N: How soon can we expect the next book in the Spirit Guide series? Any hints as to what we'll be looking forward to?
EJ: Spirit Storm (Spirit Guide, book 2) is due out early 2011. Here is a sneak peek at the cover blurb for Spirit Storm (subject to change). I highly recommend reading She Smells the Dead (Spirit Guide, book 1) before reading on.

Spirits of the Dead are coming...

Yuki is about to face an army of lost souls on Samhain, the night of Halloween, when the spirits of the dead roam free. Yuki will need all the help she can get from her friends. But will Calvin be there for her when she needs him the most?

Someone is killing off members of the Old Blood, Calvin's people, one by one. As the search for the culprit narrows, Calvin will have to make a choice. Will he help his soul mate Yuki, the woman he loves, in her fight against the dead or will he take up his role as alpha and choose to defend his people?

Thanks for stopping by, E.J.! You can purchase a copy of She Smells The Dead now, or wait a few hours and enter the super spiffeh giveaway!