Postcard For Reader

Jane

Jane
Author: April Lindner
Series: ---
Publisher: Poppy
How Received: ARC from BookExpo America
Releases October 11, 2010

Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, an iconic rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer, and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is tested by a torturous secret from his past.
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
Let's get this clear: I adore Jane Eyre. It is quite possibly my most favorite classic book of all time; I adore the plot line, the characters, everything about it. I have watched every movie adaption, memorized the best quotes, and know all of the songs to the Broadway version (yes, there IS a Broadway version) by heart.

Needless to say: When I saw this at BEA, I had to have it.

And after a paranormal kick, I needed something different. Something I loved, but something that didn't involve a werewolf or a vampire. So I picked up Jane - a modern version of the book that I loved so very much. And I was worried it wouldn't be good.

April Lindner said her favorite classic was Jane Eyre, and that she wanted to do it justice.

She did.

Jane probably won't be loved as much by those who haven't read the original, but oh-my-Oz, I found it freakin' fantastic. It sticks to the true roots of the original, brings it up to a fantastic modern day story - it's just fantastic.

It's well written. The characters are well developed, though I thought Nico could have been rounded out a bit better. (On the other hand, Rochester could have been, too.)

Just... love.

But why am I reviewing this when it's technically an adult book?
1) It has crossover appeal. I mean, I'm a teenager, and I wanted to read it.
2) It's based off of a classic many people have to read in high school, and it's a fantastic follow-up read - or an introductory read.
3) ... because I can.

Overall Rating & Final Comments: 10/10. A fantastic retelling of my favorite classic - though I may be biased.
Cover Notes: I thought it captured the mood pretty well, though I wish they had Thornfield Park in the background...

Jane comes out in about a week from now - next Tuesday, October 11. Go pick it up! You can order it online or pick it up at your local bookstore. I know I'll be investing in my own official copy.

And become a fan on Facebook HERE.