Postcard For Reader

Birthday Bash: My Mom on... Me

A photo of little me, graciously supplied by Mumsie.

Happy 18th Birthday Sweetie!

I am Nicki’s mom and I’m honored that she asked me to guest blog on this, her most special day, her 18th birthday.

I’m often asked how I raised such a voracious reader, so I am here to share the story with you that’s never been told – until now (insert dramatic music here).

Nicki wasn’t always such a good reader (gasp! Egads!). She would read what she needed to for school, but nothing more than that. And I tried! I suggested books that started me on my reading road – A Wrinkle in Time, any book by author Judy Blume – but the interest wasn’t there. Her dad read all the time too. He loved science fiction, especially anything by author Anne McCaffrey.

In 1997, I wrote to Anne and asked if she could autograph a book for my husband for his Christmas present that year. As young parents, money was tight and I knew that this present would mean more to him than anything I could’ve bought. Anne was sick that year, but her daughter promised me something even greater – autographed book plates for every one of Anne’s books that he had. He treasured this gift.

When Nicki was only 6 years old, Jeff passed away from a short bout with cancer. He left behind his Anne McCaffrey books and I kept them stored because I hoped that one day someone would enjoy them as much as he did. When Nicki was about 8 and was looking for a book to read, I offered it to her, but it was too early. She liked the Animal Ark series, but still only read occasionally.

I tried again a few years later and Nicki was finally intrigued. She started with Dragonriders of Pern and never looked back. She loved it and read more. After that she read anything she could get her hands on. Today, she treasures those books just like my husband did and her love of reading was born. Now you know!

From there she started her blog as a way of sharing her love of books with others. And I’m so proud of what she’s accomplished here. This is her baby – she nutures it, works hard on it and protects it and she cares about you, her readers. I’m also asked if I helped her since I’m a professional writer and the answer is NO. I gave her the idea of a blog and she ran with it. What she’s accomplished is all her and shows what hard work can do.

Her blog isn’t the only thing I’m proud of. She’s an incredible person -- sweet, creative, unique, hard-working, passionate, funny, and so much more. She has big dreams and she’s already started to make them come true. It’s going to be fun watching what else she’ll accomplish. Nicki has a passion for life that people search a lifetime for.

Nicki was born on Thanksgiving Day in 1992, but today it’s me who’s thankful. I’m thankful that I was blessed with such an amazing person to call my daughter. Sweetie, I wish you a wonderful 18th birthday and a lifetime of the same happiness and love that you have given me. I am so proud of you and I know Daddy is looking down, so proud of the wonderful woman you are becoming. We love you.

Love,

Lisa Iannucci-Brinkley – ‘MOM’

I hope you guys enjoyed my birthday bash - or, at least, enjoyed learning a little bit about me. I loved my week off and shall continue to relax for the rest of the day. A big shout out to my guest bloggers, and check back tomorrow for the first review in - well, a while.