Postcard For Reader

Interview: Brenna Yovanoff

Taking time from her busy schedule to swing by WORD today is the amazing Brenna Yovanoff! Don't know who she is?

Not only is she one of the Sisters of Misery, she's the author of The Replacement, which has gotten some fantastic reviews.

Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, Mackie comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement—left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is slowly dying in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with an oddly intriguing girl named Tate. But when Tate’s baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.

So click read more to read the interview. Not only do Brenna and I chat a bit about the books - but we talk about elephants as well.

And you can never go wrong with elephants.

N: Welcome to WORD, Brenna! The Replacement has two fantastic covers: the UK version and the US version. Which is your favorite?
N: Okay, so I don't know about picking favorites, but the US cover will always have a special place in my heart—it's the very first cover I've ever had, and it's so dark and eerie and pretty. However, this is really an apples to oranges comparison, because the UK cover has a very hot guy on it and . . . hot guy. Just saying.

N: Who doesn't love hot guys? Another cover question, because I'm a bit of a coverwhore - your US cover has a mobile of very dangerous items. Do you have a FAVORITE dangerous item on that cover?
B: At first, I was tempted to say the scissors, but after thinking about it for a little, I'm going to go with the unlucky horseshoe. It's a tricky choice, because at first the horseshoe is the item that seems the most harmless, but then I noticed that it's hanging the wrong way, which suddenly makes it very ominous.

N: "...Mackie comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess." What kind of tattoos does this princess have? Not unicorns, I'm betting.
B: The Morrigan is absolutely covered in these very abstract, inky-looking spirals and curlicues. Abstract . . . but creepy (spirals are weird to me—I have no idea why).

N: Do you have a favorite character?
B: I do, but it changes quite often. Today, I like Roswell best because he is just so likable. I realize that's such an easy-answer response, but there's something so easy to like about a guy who is absolutely dependable and is always a quality friend, no matter what.

N:A great friend is always a great character to love. Elephants are storming your house. WHAT DO YOU DO?
B: Straight to the roof! With my cat, my laptop, and a thermos of chai. I intend to wait it out. They have to calm down eventually. Right?

Perhaps. Or the house could fall in and you'd land on one! ... either way, you should be fine!

Don't forget to check out The Replacement in stores now - it's gotten some fantabulous reviews, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into it.