Postcard For Reader

Favorite Books of 2010

And here it is.

Buttons. Descriptions. And links to the books' (or their authors') website by clicking on the button.

Are you ready?

Favorite Book of 2010
Although I can blame The Season for getting me into historical romances, The Iron King for my reborn love of fairies, and Jane for my refreshed love of Jane Eyre, Soulless wins hands down as my favorite book of the year. I've recommended it to so many people this year, and I absolutely adore the story and the characters. It's being released in Germany, and since I'm taking German I'm going to order the series in German to understand German better - and because I love the series.

Another key sign that it's become my favorite book this year - and one of my favorite of all time - is that I've made fan trailers. Fan art. And already have money put aside for the next two to buy.

Favorite Historical Fiction
Though The Pirate Queen resparked my love of Grace O'Malley and Cate of the Lost Colony was just overall well written, The Season takes my heart. It introduced me to the fantabulous Sarah Maclean (who has since written a few adult romance novels that I adore) and the world of historical Regency romance. And it gave me a new fictional man to *swoon* over.

Favorite Fantasy
This was a particularly hard section for me to judge. Although I adore and often recommend Graceling and The Looking Glass Wars, they definitley weren't my favorites this year. Secondhand Charm charmed me and introduced me to Julie Berry, but I wouldn't call it my favorite.

In the end, it came down to The Iron King, which was one of my top books of the year, and Enchanted Ivy, which I read recently and loved. And though I adore both, The Iron King won - I haven't fought so hard for a team in a long time (PUCK!), and Julie has since become one of my favorite authors to talk to ever.

Favorite Book 'In The Now'
I eliminated Jane pretty easily from this category (though I adore it!) for one reason only - though amazing, it doesn't do an accurate representation of what I think life is like for teens nowadays, which is a big reason I like this category so much. That left Tricks and Not That Kind Of Girl. I adore Ellen Hopkins - I'll read anything she writes - but Siobhan Vivian wins a title from me again with Not That Kind Of Girl. (She won Favorite Book overall last year with Same Difference.)

Not That Kind Of Girl does a great job at just showing how hard it is to survive in high school as a normal teen and the vast amount of people and problems you'll encounter while there. I loved it enough that I had my sister read it - she's entering high school next year - and though she didn't love it as much as I did, she did say it was a good book.

Favorite Debut
While The Iron King is my favorite fantasy, it's not my favorite debut novel. Julie's an amazing author, don't get me wrong! And Rachel Hakwins' Hex Hall is an amazing series that I'm excited for it. But Karen Kincy's Other is one of the few books I went out of my way this year to made sure I read and it lived up to every glowing review I had ever read of it - and I loved it.

Favorite Paranormal
Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes was an amazing book. I adored it. It's my current favorite werewolf book - Soulless aside - and I've sent my ARC around to a few of my friends. But Other wins, because it gives paranormal a glorious new twist. (And also wins for the only book to win more than one category! Yaaaay!)

Favorite Sequel
As much as I love the Hunger Games series, and as much as Jacky Faber will also be my favorite character in any book ever, this category - hands down - go to Lisa Mantchev's Perchance to Dream.

Though I missed the Theatre Illuminata, Perchance to Dream kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading - and now I'm eagerly awaiting my chance to read the third one in the series. So excited!

Favorite New Author
I couldn't choose.
It was too difficult.
FORGIVE ME.

Favorite Cover
Not Firelight, not - there's something off about the sheen on the girl's upper lip. (I love the cover, but she looks a bit sweaty!) And Need is pretty, but nothing spectacular.

Originally I thought I was going to give this to Nightshade, hands down. I love both the U.S. and the U.K. version and was drooling over them for months.

But... I couldn't. Because as much as I loved those covers, it wasn't the reason I picked up the book. Other by Karen Kincy is really cleaning up this time around - I saw the cover and had to have it. It really stands out on the shelf for some reason.

It was a great year for books, and congratulations to all the books who won! Tomorrow I'm going to recap my entire year in books - we'll see how I did, college and all - and then 2011 starts.

I'm psyched.