Postcard For Reader

The Inferior

The Inferior
Author: Peadar Ó Guilín
Series: ? (#1)
Publisher: David Fickling Books
How Received: birthday present

STOPMOUTH AND HIS family know of no other life than the daily battle to survive. To live, they must hunt rival species, or negotiate flesh-trade with those who crave meat of the freshest human kind. It is a savage, desperate existence. And for Stopmouth, considered slowwitted hunt-fodder by his tribe, the future looks especially bleak. But then, on the day he is callously betrayed by his brother, a strange and beautiful woman falls from the sky. It is a moment that will change his destiny, and that of all humanity, forever. With echoes of Tarzan, Conan the Barbarian, and The Truman Show, Peadar Ó Guilín’s debut is an action—and idea-packed—blockbuster that will challenge your perceptions of humanity and leave you hungry for more.
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
I don't remember why it started, but I needed to read a YA book involving cannibalism. It had something to do with a conversation on Twitter, I remember, but the details are fuzzy. Anyway, this was the only book we could find. I was broke at the time, so I didn't buy it. It went on my wish list.

Wrapping paper? $1. Book? $5. Look on a mother's face when her daughter thanks her for buying the YA book on cannibalism that she's been craving? Priceless.

Guilín wrote an amazingly well crafted novel that far exceeded my expectations. I thought it would be interesting, yes, and imaginative, but I did not expect a book that would leave me hungering (haha!) for more.

Stopmouth was the most interesting out of all of them! However, my favorite character wasn't Stopmouth. I do have a soft spot in my heart for Rockface; he's just adorable and dedicated and goofy.

The world itself was fantastically created. I'm hoping we get to see more of the Roof in the sequel, and maybe see a little more character development for Mossheart. (A small character, yes, but when we were first introduced to her I had hoped that she'd develop into a more interesting character.)

I'd write a longer review, but frankly, you understand that I liked it - and I'm sick while setting this up, and who wants to think too hard while you're sick!?

Overall Rating & Final Comments: 9/10. An amazing world with interesting characters, though I wish there had been more description.
Slogan Comments: "There is only one law: eat or be eaten." Looooove it!