Postcard For Reader

Solitary

Solitary
Author: Alexander Gordon Smith
Series: Escape from Furnace (#2)
Publisher: Square Fish
How Received: publisher ARC

Click here to read my review of Lockdown.

Alex Sawyer and his mates should have known there was no way out of Furnace Penitentiary. Their escape attempt only lands them deeper in the guts of this prison for young offenders, and then into solitary confinement. And that's where a whole new struggle begins—a struggle not to let the hellish conditions overwhelm them. Because before another escape attempt is even possible, they must first survive the nightmare that now haunts their endless nights.
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
The kid on the cover kind of looks like my ex-boyfriend. Creepy.

Solitary kept me on the edge of my seat the entire story, but by the end of it I wanted to throw the book against the wall. So much happened - but the story didn't go anywhere. So much happened for Alex to be in the exact same spot he was at the end of Lockdown.

I mean, I loved reading it. Smith knows how to get you hooked into a story, how to grab you by the end of your nose and yank you into it and make you stay until the end. I wanted to know what happened to Alex - actually, I lie. I wanted to know what happened to Zee and Donovan (poor Donovan!); Alex, though interesting, is not my favorite character. But my favorite character is rarely the main character in books, so this is understandable.

I liked the new characters that were introduced, mainly because they kept the plot going. None of them were particularly well developed, at least not yet - maybe we'll see more of that in the third book. (Death Sentence comes out this June.)

Overall Rating & Final Thoughts: 7/10. I loved seeing some of the characters again, and it's a wonderfully horrific dystopian - but it didn't go anywhere.

Don't forget to check out my interview with Alexander Gordon Smith!