Postcard For Reader

BookExpo America 2011

For a lot of people, the chaos that is BookExpo America starts today - flying into the city or arranging transport of some sort or finishing packing. Over the next few days, different publishers have different little events, and the entire thing kicks off on Tuesday.

Of course, I won't get there until Wednesday and will only be doing Wednesday and Thursday, but still.

There are plenty of BookExpo America posts floating around right now, but I'll summarize what I learned from last year quickly - and what I plan on doing this year.

Last Minute Advice
- Comfortable shoes.
I know everybody's said it, but really, it's important. You're going to be walking all day.
- Don't pick up every book you see.
Be selective! I know it's tempting to pick up everything, and trust me, you're going to want almost everything you see - but don't pick it up unless you really want to read it. Not just because somebody else may want it, but because you are going to end up with more books than you will ever get around to reading.
- No, really, be selective.
I'm overemphasizing what I just said because I still have so many books from BEA last year. Trust me. Pick wisely.
- Schedule in time for eating!
That was a mistake I made last year; make sure that, in between all your signings and everything, you have time to eat! (Even if it's just a handful of crackers or something. I suggest packing snacks.)

My Schedule

Of course, I'll be visiting various booths and floating around in general - if you see me, be sure to say hi!

If you have any last minute questions, comments, concerns, curses, just leave 'em in comments - I'll answer them!