Postcard For Reader

Lark

Lark
Author: Tracey Porter
Series: ---
Publisher: HarperTeen
How Received: ARC

When sixteen-year-old Lark Austin is kidnapped from her Virginia hometown and left for dead in a snowy forest, she leaves behind two girls who are shocked by the loss of their former friend. At the same time Eve must face the hole left by Lark’s absence, she also can’t shake the guilt that Lark’s death was her fault. Meanwhile, Nyetta is haunted by Lark’s ghost, who comes through the bedroom window and begs Nyetta to set her soul free. Eve and Nyetta realize it is their responsibility to uncover why Lark is trapped in limbo, but only by coming together to find the missing pieces of themselves can they bring peace to Lark.
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
I've started the summer by tackling my "Oh, this book looks small; I should be able to finish it quickly!" pile. Lark was a good way to start that pile.

I don't often read books like Lark; this one came in the mail and seeing as it was coming out soon at the time I was looking at it, I figured I'd read it. I actually sat down and read it in one sitting.

Though not my typical kind of book, I rather enjoyed it; it's got a lot of good things going for it. The length, of course, was what attracted me to it in the first place, but don't look at the summary of the book and think that it can't handle the material in such a short time. Porter does a rather fantastic job at getting into the heads of the two girls (and Lark) and showing the story. She manages to get details without making the book longer than it has to be.

That's another thing I thought was interesting; we get three points of view (Eve, Nyetta, and Lark) and normally I don't like that. In this case, it was handled really well - we get glimpses into each of their lives and just enough details to let you connect to them and feel for them a little bit without so much as to feel as if one story should have more details than the others.

All in all, I thought it was a really good book; it was a great book to kick off my summer reads with, and I'm looking forward to reading more by Tracey Porter.

Overall Rating & Final Thoughts: 10/10. It's not my normal kind of book, but seeing as I liked it enough to read it in one sitting and can't really think of any complaints, I have to give it a 10.
Lark or The Space Between Trees?: Though the material is similar, I prefer how Lark handles the girl murder mystery to how The Space Between Trees handles it; something about the writing in Lark just clicked with me better than The Space Between Trees.