Postcard For Reader

Liz's Corner: Incarceron

Incarceron
Author: Catherine Fisher
Series: Incarceron (#1)
Publisher: Penguin
How Received: bought

See Nicole's review here.

Incarceron is a prison unlike any other: Its inmates live not only in cells, but also in metal forests, dilapidated cities, and unbounded wilderness. The prison has been sealed for centuries, and only one man, legend says, has ever escaped.

Finn, a seventeen-year-old prisoner, can’t remember his childhood and believes he came from Outside Incarceron. He’s going to escape, even though most inmates don’t believe that Outside even exists. And then Finn finds a crystal key and through it, a girl named Claudia.

Claudia claims to live Outside—her father is the Warden of Incarceron and she’s doomed to an arranged marriage. If she helps Finn escape, she will need his help in return. But they don’t realize that there is more to Incarceron than meets the eye. Escape will take their greatest courage and cost far more than they know.

Because Incarceron is alive.

Incarceron was a book that had been sitting on my to-read shelf for quite some time. When I picked it up at a local book fair, I finally gave in and bought it.

I've seen reviews for it starring at mediocre to five stars. When I closed the book and put it back in my bookcase, I was somewhere in between the two. It had a really good plot, though predictable at times. It was written better than some books of that same genre, however, it wasn't the best. I also loved the characters, though some of them needed some more fleshing out.

Jared, Claudia's mentor and a Sapienti, was one of (if not my only..) favourite character. I don't know what it was about it, but I connected with him better than Claudia. In fact, Claudia got on my nerves sometimes.

Plot wise...I loved it. It could have been made a whole lot 'deeper', if you get my drift. It didn't have the details I would like to see in a plot of that magnitude. However, if it did, the book would be huge or we'd see a more books in the series.

All in all, it was good but not a favourite.