Postcard For Reader

Vanish

Vanish
Author: Sophie Jordan
Series: Firelight (#2)
Publisher: HarperTeen
How Received: publisher ARC

Read my review of Firelight.

To save the life of the boy she loves, Jacinda did the unthinkable: She betrayed the most closely-guarded secret of her kind. Now she must return to the protection of her pride knowing she might never see Will again—and worse, that because his mind has been shaded, Will’s memories of that fateful night and why she had to flee are gone.

Back home, Jacinda is greeted with hostility and must work to prove her loyalty for both her sake and her family’s. Among the few who will even talk to her are Cassian, the pride’s heir apparent who has always wanted her, and her sister, Tamra, who has been forever changed by a twist of fate. Jacinda knows that she should forget Will and move on—that if he managed to remember and keep his promise to find her, it would only endanger them both. Yet she clings to the hope that someday they will be together again. When the chance arrives to follow her heart, will she risk everything for love?
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
I feel like I would love this series so much more if Jacinda would just ditch the boys and run off and be badass with Az and Tamra.

Don't get me wrong: I think Will and Cassian are very interesting characters. But we have Jacinda - this bloody brilliant dracon girl whose stubborn and fiery and smart and just wants to do what's right - and thrust her into a cliche love triangle. This is the worst thing you can do to a character like this.

You're telling me that a girl who knows herself, who knows her mind, is going to let every action she does be dictated by whether or not she's going to run off with one guy or mate with another? No!

I mean, if we took away the love triangle, the plot wouldn't be as dramatic. Insert candlelight and smoldering glances into any book, you're guaranteed dramatic. But it's not necessary! I want action! I want badassery! I want more about her best friend and her sister and less about the two boys who are trying to control Jacinda!

Because let's face it - even if they both love her, they're just trying to stake a claim in her. It's just a pissing war between them now. Will pretty much demanded that Jacinda do as he says or she didn't love him and Cassian wrongfully manipulated his way into bonding with her. Gah. Boys. You are doing life wrong. I thought I'd be rooting for one of you at this point...

... but really, I think it would be MUCH better if you two were randomly murdered, Jacinda ran back and got Az, and together with Tamra they explored the world and freed trapped dracons and flirted with boys and did awesome stuff together.

But since I can't have that, I suppose I'll have to settle for Tamra and Jacinda going to try to free another dracon and having to be stuck with these two stupid boys. Le sigh.

Overall Rating & Final Comments: 7/10. Great plot, great world, but this love triangle makes me want to shoot myself.
Cover Comments: Tamra! You look just like your sister, but even prettier, if that's possible! (It helps that it's the same model, baha.) I want these covers as posters.

Have you guys read Vanish? Do you want to?