Postcard For Reader

You should read an Austen novel.

It's not a secret that I'm taking a Jane Austen class; it's my favorite class of the semester. (The same teacher who teaches that is teaching a young adult lit class next semester which I'm super excited to take.)

But though I had always loved Pride and Prejudice on a fangirly squealing sort of level, I never really appreciated Austen like I do now.

And it's not just because I'm studying her in college, but because she's an excellent writer. I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of Mansfield Park, and you need to understand that she's mocking gothic novels in Northanger Abbey, but she really is fantastic. She makes characters you can't help but love and manages to teach these excellent lessons through these characters at the same time.

And it's not just for girls - there are guys in the class (yes, straight men) who are loving the books, and even my boyfriend is realizing how fantastic they are at making commentary on society and such.

You should read an Austen novel. I recommend Pride and Prejudice, as it's my favorite, but Sense and Sensibility and the others are all equally fantastic. And if you can't read one - well, watch a movie!