Postcard For Reader

The Faerie Path (DNF)

The Faerie Path
Author: Frewin Jones
Series: The Faerie Path (#1)
Publisher: Eos
How Received: bought

Swept away into a court of magic and beauty, Anita discovers she is Tania, the lost princess of Faerie. Since Tania's mysterious disappearance five hundred years before, Faerie has been sunk in darkness and gloom. With her return, Faerie comes alive again as a land of winged children, glittering balls, and fantastic delights. But Tania can't forget Anita's world, or the boy she loved there.

Torn between two loves and between two worlds, Tania slowly remembers why she disappeared, and realizes that she is the only one who can stop a sinister plan that threatens the entire world of Faerie.
Got to page: 143

I can hear you now. "Two weeks into the year and you're already on your second did not finish book of the year?! Shame on you!" To be fair, I read this last year. I just like stating why I didn't like something, because I believe that all books are worth discussing, not just ones I zomg-loved.

And the problem with The Faerie Path was that it had so much potential for me to love it. I had already bought the next two in the series under the ideology that I would like this enough to keep reading. After all, the plot is one of my favorites; I love lost-Fey-princess-returns-home-and-has-to-save-the-world. (Hello, Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series? Love it.)

But. But but but.

There was so much set up to get to that point. I got 143 pages in and Tania was just about to figure out that she really did belong in the faerie world. Which would have been fine, if other things had been happening before then than just dancing and reacquainting and fun things. There was no set up, no drama, no reason why she should be there.

And oh, world continuity! Why do you not exist? If one character says they haven't aged because Oberon froze time in the faerie world, you can't have dogs getting pregnant and giving birth and having the puppies grow up. You need time to move for that, silly. You're not in a TARDIS.

I'm sure plenty of people love this series - after all, the books do well enough! - but I just couldn't get into it.

The Faerie Path or The Iron King?: The Iron King, definitley. I might want to strangle the love triangle in it every now and then, but the plot is dynamic and keeps you on your toes - and the world stays consistent!