Postcard For Reader

Alice: Madness Returns (Video Game)

It's no secret that I love basically every adaption of everything to do with Alice in Wonderland. Gimme a movie or a book adaption or anything, I'll take a peek at it.

"Alice: Madness Returns" had been lurking in the corner of my mind for a while. (Yes, this video game is a sequel, but you can play without playing the first.) When I stuck it on my Christmas list at the last minute, I never expected to get it.

And then I got it.

Since I finished playing it a few weeks ago, and since it IS kind of book related, here are my thoughts!

Within events of the first game, Alice Liddell becomes insane, believing herself responsible for a fire that consumed her home and her family, escaping into a twisted version of Wonderland. While held at Rutledge Asylum for treatment, Alice was able to conquer her doubts, and eventually was released from the ward. In Alice: Madness Returns, a year has passed since Alice's release. She now resides at an orphanage in Victorian London under the care of Doctor Angus Bumby, a psychiatrist that uses hypnotism to help his child patients forget their memories. Though she believes herself cured of her madness, hallucinations of Wonderland continue to appear.

During an errand, Alice is struck by a hallucination and believes herself to be in Wonderland again. Though initially idyllic, the peaceful land quickly becomes corrupted by the Infernal Train that rampages through it, leaving behind the Ruin, a force that attempts to stop Alice. Alice meets with the Cheshire Cat who affirms that it is some outside force, not Alice, that has caused this corruption, and urges her to seek out former friend and foe to discover the source of the Train. Throughout the rest of the game, the player witnesses periods where Alice briefly returns to reality between episodes occurring within Wonderland.

Summary from Wikipedia.

Now, I'm in love with two things about this game: the plot and the art style.

I adore the plot. I love seeing my favorite characters go through hell and back -- in this case, literally. I love angst and chaos and darkness and I have no idea why, but stick it in a fantasy world and I'll eat it up.

In this case, it's also handled really well. I love how they parallel the real world and Wonderland, and how they interact all the characters together. I also love that you can't necessarily figure it out within five minutes.

But I'm not gonna lie -- the art is what made me really fall in love with this game.

There's so much detail in the recreation of the dark Wonderland, and I adored it. Alice's outfit changes in each world; the creatures change, and each are full of detail. Alice's weaponry changes with every upgrade and is absolutely gorgeous and detailed and awesome. Just - ugh. Loved it.

If you like dark(er) hack-and-slash/puzzle style video games, I'd recommend Alice. It's pretty easy to beat, but that's what the NIGHTMARE level is for. (Oh. And it's M. So for you under 18, you need a parent. Or sumtin'. It's not too bad, though; it's just mostly violent.)