Postcard For Reader

Book Trailers (13)

A whole bunch of book trailers have slowly been collecting in my bookmarks (and likes on Tumblr), so it's about time I weeded them out!

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

This is one of those books that I'm really looking forward to. It has a great title and a great series name and a great cover and a great premise and a great...

... wait, nope, not a great book trailer.

The flashes of video in this are brilliant, gorgeous, I loved it. But what's with all the text? Odds are, if they're interested in the book, they've already read the summary of it. Less text, people! More action!

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

I love love love how this one starts off. The video is adorable, and I even love how the voiceover is done -- the way it's phrased reminds me of a movie. (Not digging the narrator's voice, but I can't have it all.)

It should have ended at the 25 second mark. It was just enough to make me interested in the book. The rest of it -- the text, the cheesy music, the bad special effects with the text -- just turned me off. You don't have to tell the entire book! You just have to make me interested in it!

The Right and the Real by Joelle Anthony

I have a firm belief that if you're going to do something, you better do it well. If you don't, it'll hurt you more than it'll help you.

I stopped watching this trailer 20 seconds into it. The first 20 seconds of a video are important. That's what drags you in. But this was just painfully simple and looked like it was thrown together in ten minutes using all of the Windows Movie Maker special effects. I would rather not have a book trailer than have a bad one.

Breaking Glass by Lisa Amowitz

What have I told you guys about using photos and text?! Give me video! Give me narration over text! Be minimal about it! I'd rather see a great 30 second video that only gives me a hint of the story than a three minute one that's painfully dull, photo-filled, involves a lot of text and explains the entire story.

What do you guys think of these?