Postcard For Reader

Timeless

Timeless
Author: Gail Carriger
Series: Parasol Protectorate (#5)
Publisher: Orbit
How Received: library

Review of Soulless (#1)
Review of Changeless (#2)
Review of Blameless (#3)
Review of Heartless (#4)

Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, has settled into domestic bliss. Of course, being Alexia, such bliss involves integrating werewolves into London High society, living in a vampire's second best closet, and coping with a precocious toddler who is prone to turning supernatural willy-nilly. Even Ivy Tunstell's acting troupe's latest play, disastrous to say the least, cannot put a damper on Alexia's enjoyment of her new London lifestyle.

Until, that is, she receives a summons from Alexandria that cannot be ignored. With husband, child, and Tunstells in tow, Alexia boards a steamer to cross the Mediterranean. But Egypt may hold more mysteries than even the indomitable Lady Maccon can handle. What does the vampire Queen of the Alexandria Hive really want from her? Why is the God-Breaker Plague suddenly expanding? And how has Ivy Tunstell suddenly become the most popular actress in all the British Empire?
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
Spoilers ahead for the Parasol Protectorate series.

I'm going to miss this series.

Honestly, I could praise the plot of this story -- I had some points figured out, and some I didn't -- and I could praise the continuation of the world building and the beautiful plot continuity itself.

But what's the point?

The reason that I have always loved this series and the reason I will always love this series is because its characters. Alexia Tarabotti is everything I want to be as I get older - smart and sassy and demanding and kind and clever and a large fan of pastries. Lord Maccon is hot and angry and kind and loving and angry and a werewolf and immortal and gorgeous and flawed and beautiful.

Oh, and Biffy! Dear, dear Biffy! I was not expecting you to be so important, but oh, you were! And then your plot was beautiful and unexpected and I was so very PROUD! (Which, if you note, is a silly emotion for a character that you didn't write and had no attachment to prior to this book, but still. Perhaps it was pack pride?)

Akeldama is as hilarious and intelligent as always, and Madame Lefoux is always a tricky and interesting character to read about.

Prudence was perfection in the form of a two-year-old. Everything she said had me giggling or wincing on behalf of those in the room with her. Who would have thunk a two year old would be such a great character!?

But that's Carriger for you. That woman could rewrite the phone book and I would read it. Her characters are always multidimensional and interesting and I've fallen in love with all of the -- even the villains, to an extent. They're just... ugh. So good.

And for the record? Lord Maccon and Alexia will always be my OTP (one true pairing, for those of you not familiar with fandom terms) above every other pairing. I've never met a couple I've loved so much.

Overall Rating & Final Comments: 10/10. Carriger's writing is witty and hilarious, and her characters will stay with you for a lifetime.