Postcard For Reader

Thoughts On: Kissy Faces & Covers

I hate people kissing on covers.

Please note that I have nothing against kissing as a whole. In fact, it is a practice I fully endorse and participate in on a regular basis. However, there's something intensely awkward about seeing two people about to get it on on a cover.

There's always just something... off-putting about it. It never looks realistic to me. It's always posed and ready and at really strange angles and that's not what kissing is about. It's about passion or love or caring, at least for the books they're normally paired with, and the covers that try to capture that just end up looking cheesy.

But I don't want to dwell on this, because it's so painfully obvious by looking at the covers.

So let's play a game! I've put a whole bunch of kissing covers below. Feel free to contribute awkward covers and comments of your own!

I'd pull a neck muscle bending my head like that, hot guy or not.

Is that glass? Or rain? Frankly, I'd fall out of the car either way.

Where is that light coming from? And does that cover model remind anybody else of Star Wars' Leia?

Pose: realistic. Location: very, very strange. (I know it's related to the book, but still...)

I like neck kisses as much as the next girl, but the lighting reminds me of stage lighting -- and I wouldn't want to get it on for an audience.

She doesn't look like she has a body. Also, what's with the facial expressions?

This close, all I can think about is why we can't see any saliva. Must be vampires.

Must... bend... necks... and... smack... noses...

Please tell me I'm not the only one that finds kissing covers unattractive?

Side note: Just realized three of these are Simone Elkeles' books. Whoops! She has the worst cover luck, which is a shame, because I actually enjoy her books!