Postcard For Reader

Goddess Interrupted

Goddess Interrupted
Author: Aimee Carter
Series: Goddess Test (#2)
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
How Received: review copy

Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry's first wife, Persephone.
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
The thing about this series is I really, really love the story.

On the other hand, I want to strangle Kate quite frequently.

Luckily, the pros outweigh the cons - enough for me to have finished reading the book, at least. I like how the gods and goddesses interact; I like how Callipoe and Cronus' villian act worked; I like how Kate's a character that gets up and does things.

(I also love how this series' completely okay with sex. Yay! No slut-shaming here!)

The thing that annoys me is Kate's tendency to break down into tears over Persephone and Henry and yes, that is a big pain in the ass for her and it hurts and I know. There are moments, however, where I can't help but think, Cronus is trying to kill you! Bite back your tears and focus!

Luckily, those moments were kept to a few -- though a lot of emphasis was placed on her relationship with Henry, a man she barely knew and was committing to immortality with, rather than the fact that she was choosing to be Queen of the Underworld. One of these things seems ridiculous and one of these things seems like something you should think about really, really hard.

I got past both of those things, mainly because Kate buckles down near the end and finally deals with both Henry and her doubts about becoming Queen of the Underworld and so on and so forth, but for a while I just wanted to slap her.

[SPOILER ALERT for the end of the book]
And then we got to the last few pages. Kate's going off with Ava to snag a Titan to help them fight Cronus. Wonderful. I'm all for independence and going off and saving the world and still being in love and whatever.

But what the hell, Calliope? Yes, I understand you're Hera and the goddess of fertility, but if you're going to make good on your threat to take away what Kate loves most, don't choose a baby she didn't even know she was pregnant with.

Also, Ava, what the hell? That was a BIG character shift that - yes, great, I didn't see it coming, but paired with what Calliope was doing made little sense. I don't understand the ending, or why it needed to end on a cliffhanger.
[END SPOILER ALERT]

Besides that, though, I enjoyed the book far more than I anticipated.

Overall Rating & Final Comments: 6/10. Good world, interesting characters, but a weird ending and the occasional need to slap a character or two.

Have you read Goddess Interrupted? Did you want to poke Kate really hard and remind her that she was about to be killed, or was that just me?