Postcard For Reader

Thoughts On: Rereads

The blogosphere is filled with people reading books. Reviewing them, getting excited over them, becoming a fan.

It's really rare, though, to see a blog where people talk about the books they reread. Many bloggers don't think they have the time to reread books.

Why?

Bloggers - and readers - tend to own and read so many books. And some of them they fall in love with, and they buy, and they collect memorabilia.

Yet how often do they reread them?

Last year, two of my books were rereads. Two. I've bought and collected dozens of books that I love. I'm constantly weeding out the books I don't want to keep; constantly adding to the collection I love. But books are meant to be loved and read, not just collected sitting dusty on the shelf.

I think favorite books should be reread more often.

I'm not that I'm not a fan of reading new books. There's nothing more exciting than what happens when you discover a fabulous new book.

The feeling, though, when you reread a book? I feel like so many people forget what that's like. It's coming home. It's a world that will always be there for you to welcome you back. Hogwarts. Fincayara. Narnia. London. Wherever it is, wherever that book takes place, it's a safe zone for you to visit your favorite characters and ride an adventure again.

Sometimes it feels like you have too many review books to do that, but you know what? You read what you want to read. Sometimes people shove aside rereads because they don't think they have enough time, even if they really want to read them.

That's silly.

Read what makes you happy. Rereads sit on the shelf waiting for you to love them so they can give you some loving in return.

And they're so much fun to (re)read.