Postcard For Reader

God Save The Queen (DNF)

God Save The Queen
Author: Kate Locke
Series: The Immortal Empire (#1)
Publisher: Orbit
How Received: gift

The undead matriarch of a Britain where the Aristocracy is made up of werewolves and vampires, where goblins live underground and mothers know better than to let their children out after dark. A world where being nobility means being infected with the Plague (side-effects include undeath), Hysteria is the popular affliction of the day, and leeches are considered a delicacy. And a world where technology lives side by side with magic. The year is 2012 and Pax Britannia still reigns.

Xandra Vardan is a member of the elite Royal Guard, and it is her duty to protect the Aristocracy. But when her sister goes missing, Xandra will set out on a path that undermines everything she believed in and uncover a conspiracy that threatens to topple the empire. And she is the key-the prize in a very dangerous struggle.
Got to page: 66

It's not that I don't like God Save The Queen. I thought the concept was really interesting, and I like the characters. While I don't dig the writing style, I could look past it.

If it hadn't been for the fighting scene.

I stopped reading shortly after one of the first fight scenes and never got around to picking it up again; it's been sitting on my desk for three weeks and I finally declared it a did-not-finish. And I think I would have been more eager.

If it hadn't been for the fighting scene.

See, in this book, the main character is a vampire or something and has to follow all the rules of the immortal Queen Victoria. For some reason, one of these rules is to wear really nice evening gowns.

In this fight scene, she ends up fighting in heels and an evening gown. And while I totally dig that she was willing to do that, I just... really? Her entire gown was customized to allow fighting, which was good, but I... something about the scene put me off. It didn't flow correctly. I don't know why, but... hmm.

Sad, because I could have gotten really shippy with this book.

Final Thoughts: Pick it up if you like adult crossover paranormals and vampire novels in general, but I just couldn't get into it.