Postcard For Reader

Eight Honest Questions with... Daria Snadowsky

Daria Snadowsky, author of Anatomy of a Boyfriend, has a last name that's very hard to spell.

She also has granted WORD a wonderfully honest review, just like her book! You can check out my review of A.O.A.B. here, and keep an eye out for other books by her! A.O.A.B. is being re-released in paperback this month.

1. One of the main reasons your book is so intriguing is its total and complete lack of inhibition on the experiences Dominique is having. Did you have qualms about writing that or was it part of the reason you wrote it?
That was one of the reasons I wrote it. Growing up, I idolized books like Forever (by Judy Blume), which shamelessly and honestly portrayed the emotional and physical experience of first love. Books like Forever make readers, who are going through these exciting and scary milestones themselves, feel less alone in their feelings and give them insight as to what choices to make.

2. The only one I remember reading right now is Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret. Did you ever have a Wes?
A few. I'm no stranger to heartbreak.

3. Aww. Did you ever have a friends like Dominique has - particularly her very, how we say, artsy friend?
Yes and no. None of my friends were ever as romantically adventurous as Amy, but they were definitely as dependable, honest and fun to be with.

4. I have friends like that - not as adventurous as Amy, but close. Did you have some songs that you listened to while writing?
There were a few, not because their lyrics held any significance for the book, but because I simply found them soothing. Mostly I listened to The Cars' "Drive," The Church's "Under the Milky Way Tonight," and the soundtrack to Sense and Sensibility (composed by Patrick Doyle).

5. I have to go check out the soundtrack, then! Are you shy like Dominique or more outgoing?
I'm naturally shy. I listen way more than I talk.

6. I definetely talk more than I listen. I have to ask... dark chocolate or milk chocolate?
Okay, this is a serious question. Dark chocolate for dipping fruit. Bittersweet chocolate for brownies. Semisweet chocolate for chocolate chip cookies. And white chocolate for cheesecake. If I had to pick just one, though, it'd be milk chocolate. With a tall glass of milk.

7. A woman after my own heart. Milk chocolate any day. (Gertrude and Hawk owns that department.) Did you ever slink off with a boy when you were in high school?
Not really in high school so much as in college. On Valentine's Day of my sophomore year, my then bf and I went parking in his car on the top level of a parking deck on campus. Seconds later campus security drove by and put a stop to it. It was a pretty dumb thing for us to do, but that humbling experience inspired one of my favorite chapters in Anatomy of a Boyfriend.

8. Hahaha, I remember that... Did you ever play the Anatomy Of A Boyfriend game Random House created for you? If so, what did you make? (And did you enjoy the surprise when you click the boxers long enough? That made some of my friends freak out!)
Hehe. Yes, I saw that. My favorite build-your-own-boyfriend creation is the Emo dude who's cross-eyed, wearing plaid shorts and has a hairy chest, arms and legs. Kind of reminds me of one of my old Weses.

That's one odd Wes. ^^" Check in soon for more author interviews and book reviews - and I'm sorry it's a day late; ya can blame the AP teachers!

Happy reading.

~Nicole