Postcard For Reader

Final Fridays - Allison Winn Scotch

Eight Questions with Allison Winn Scotch
Allison Winn Scotch has a name with three words.
Allison Winn Scotch has written Time of my Life and The Department of Lost and Found - both branded adult and both excellent books for any age.
Allison Winn Scotch has been on the New York Times bestsellers list for both of those books.
Allison Winn Scotch is visiting WORD today!

You can learn more about Allison by checking out her website, or by reading her blog/advice column, because, let's face it, all the spiffeh people in the world have blogs.

1) You made the New York Times bestsellers list. BESTSELLERS! How did you react to the news?
I started sobbing. I was working out actually – I knew the news was coming in around a certain time of day, so I got on the elliptical that we have in our house in a attempt to distract myself. The designated time came and went, and I figured, “Oh well, no one wants to break the news to me that I didn’t make it.” But then a few minutes later, the emails and calls starting coming, and I just totally freaked out. I sort of cried with elation for a few minutes, and then I called my husband, and then my parents to share the news.

And then posted it as all over the web. XD What's your favorite writing utensil - pen, pencil, laptop, crayon?
Oh, I’m all about new technology – I only write on my computer.

Perhaps you can convince my mom that only I should, too. "You have a journal!" Psssshhhhh. What inspired you to write Time Of My Life?
I was really interested in writing a time-travel story, but I wasn’t quite sure how to co about doing so. Then one afternoon, my best friend, who happened to be visiting a city where her ex-boyfriend lives, called and said she was having all of these weird pangs on nostalgia. I had one of those lightening bolt flashes where I just instantly knew how I could write the story – and everything came to me at once: my protagonist, her problems, her life, and how she’d end up back in time. The only thing I didn’t know – and I never know this when I’m working on a book – was how it was going to end. I tend to just write what feels natural and see where the story goes.

That's how I write! (And how I read. I have friends who read backwards-forwards, and it's horrible.) I'm addicted to House and Bones and Fringe. What's your favorite TV show?
Ah, you’ve stumbled on my favorite past time! :) I’m an avid reader, of course, but I’m also an avid consumer of pop culture, and thus, I love me some tv! Right now, my favorite shows are probably Friday Night Lights, 30 Rock, and Chuck. They’re the few shows I actually watch the night that they air. But my favorite show of all-time is probably Felicity, followed by Alias. J.J. Abrams is a mad genius! Oh, and of course, I thus love Lost too.

I've heard 30 Rock is really good. :3 They're turning Time of My Life into a movie. Who would /you/ cast?
I’ve been fortunate enough that the producers have taken the time to listen to my short list of actresses and have pretty much agreed with me on who could best bring Jillian to life. So there are about six or seven women who I think would totally kick butt. That said, as a Felicity fanatic, I’d be totally crazy about Keri Russell...she is probably my eternal girl-crush. Other names that have been tossed around include Anne Hathaway (genius) and Jennifer Garner (love her), among many other talents, so really...if any of the names whom we’ve discussed actually sign on, I’m sure I’ll be a very happy camper.

I love Anne Hathaway, and she can sing. Which book do you relate to more - Time Of My Life or The Department of Lost and Found?
Definitely Time of My Life. It’s funny: The Department was my first book, and sort of like a first borne child, I had a lot of very strong, passionate feelings for it. But once I wrote Time of My Life, I realized that my first book wasn’t the be-all, end-all, and I was sort of able to move on from it. I think the books probably reflect my growth over the years, and while The Department maybe represented one place in my life, Time of My Life now represents another. What’s interesting is that people who read them assume that they’re both biographical in some way, but the two characters couldn’t be more different! So either I’m one or neither (neither, in my opinion, as neither book represents much of my life), but I definitely can’t be both!

Do you do anything in particular when you write - zone out, play music, etc.?
I really just write. I have music playing at nearly all other times of the day, but when I write, it distracts me because I’m such a lyric-focused person that I find the words of the song competing with the words in my brain. That said, I often keep up various mindless websites and flick back and forth between my manuscript and the website. I’ve discovered that if I’m struggling with a sentence or looking for just the right word, it helps for me to turn off my brain for a second, and often times, the phrase just comes to me...I guess concentrating too hard can actually be a negative!

I tend to listen to music. Sparks ideas. February is the month of lovvvvvvvvve. (Valentine's Day!) What's your ideal romantic evening?
Oooh, well, I have two young kids, so honestly, I’d say a nice evening out with my husband during which he has the time and energy to actually focus on ME! As a working mom, I do feel like I spend 95% of my time devoting myself to other people’s needs, so it always feels nice when someone reciprocates. So a nice glass of wine, some pasta, and a babysitter. :)