Postcard For Reader

Mini Rant: Different Points of View

I like to write stories, so I see why an author would like to jump from point of view to point of view. Show what's happening here and there and the reader gets the whole story, right? Riiiiight?

No.

One of the things I'm having a problem with in John Marco's Starfinder is that he has a tendency to jump around with points of view. Overall, it's a fantastic fantasy novel, but for me, when he jumps from Moth's POV to Skyhigh's POV back to Moth or some other character, it's infuriating. The story would be just as good if he had left the information with Skyhigh and the other characters out or even managed to weave in what we learn in a different way.

Why should we learn what's going on when Moth doesn't know, though? He seems to be the main character, and I like being surprised when the main character is.

Besides that, Starfinder really is a good book so far. It's got an interesting plotline, great characters (okay, Skyhigh's a little weak and... gah, I can't remember the grandfather's name... is your traditional bad character from what I've read so far) and it's really bothering me that I don't know who the Skylords (is that right?) are yet.

But writers, seriously. You don't need to jump and show the reader EVERYTHING to write a good story. The best ones are the ones that surprise the main character AND you. (There are some exceptions to this rule. I just can't think of any right now.)

(Oh. If you are going to jump, stick with just two characters.)

On the other hand, I am a complete cover whore and love the Starfinder cover. Just sayin'.

Um... yeah, rant over. XD Sorry, had to get that out. Anybody agree/disagree?

Happy reading!

~Nicole