Postcard For Reader

Final Fridays -- Jennifer Echols

Eight Questions With Jennifer Echols
Jennifer Echols used to be in the marching band in high school. She knows how to waterski. She really has had somebody smear her with bryozoa.

And she's this month's Final Fridays interview!

Going Too Far is different from your other books - like Boys Next Door, for instance. Which did you prefer writing?

Going Too Far was more freeing, because where I would edit myself while writing a romantic comedy, I just went ahead and wrote.

Let the spirit of the novel be with you... You're on a deserted island, and you can only bring one thing with you. What would you bring?
I have a volume of all Jane Austen's novels. That would keep me happy for a long time.

I would've said a boat. If you're on that same deserted island, who would you bring with you?

My husband! It is cold and rainy here today, and the idea of going with my husband to a deserted tropical island sounds pretty good right now.

It's nice and sunny here! Though by summer, I'll be wishing for it to be cold and rainy. All of your novels have a hint of romance in them. Who is your favorite male character?

Oh man, I have to choose? I can't believe you're making me do this. I'll always have a soft spot for Drew from Major Crush, because he was my first hero. But poor Adam from The Boys Next Door is so vulnerable. He needs me. And John from Going Too Far is strong yet adorable, with those dreamy dark eyes...

Nah, I'm not choosing. ;)

You could just pick all three to do a competition, and whoever wins the competition wins your heart! You do a lot of events - book singings, speaking, etc. What has been your favorite trip so far?

Last April I spoke at the Alabama Book Festival in Montgomery with R. A. Nelson and Jay Asher. It was a gorgeous spring day in Old Alabama Town, a restored historic village. The sun was warm.. Flower petals fell from the trees onto the brick paths. And everybody there was a book nut. I talked to so many fun readers and hilarious librarians.. I have very fond memories of that day.

Favorite candy. Go.

Cadbury Creme Eggs. No-brainer.

I LOVE Cadbury Mini Eggs. Let's say their making a movie on YA fiction writers. Who would you cast to play yourself - and do you have any other authors you'd like to see cast, and who?

Ashley Tisdale. She is great at playing the well-meaning dork, and that's me. (I give the same answer for the actress who I'd cast as Lori in The Boys Next Door, because Lori and I are so much alike.)

Molly Ringwald could play Rosemary Clement-Moore, who is writing a wonderful new book set in Alabama. We could road-trip over to Georgia and hunt ghosts with Marley Gibson, played by Keri Russell.

Ghost Hunters: Young Adult Writers. I can see it now! If you could write about ANYTHING with the knowledge that somebody would buy it, what would you write about?
I wrote part of a YA romantic comedy about an out-of-control rock band in Atlanta and the manager who tries to whip them into shape. I have always regretted that book didn't sell. I crack myself up just thinking about it. (Of course, I crack myself up a LOT.)

"Nicole, thank you so much for having me on your blog!"