Postcard For Reader

Bookish Meme

Scott fails today - he forgot to set himself up a review. What am I going to do with that boy?

So... here is a meme. I found this over at Frenetic Reader. Sorry for the two-memes-in-a-row bit...

Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
If I'm going to invest in something I love, I'll buy hardback, but if it's just something I'm reading that I'm not sure I'll like/might not read again/just for review, always paperback of any kind.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
I love Borders, I do. It's a lot cozier. But B&N has a bigger selection. (And better food.)

Bookmark or dog-ear?
Bookmark. Not only is not non-abusive, but bookmarks are SPIFFEH.

Amazon or brick-and-mortar?
Brick-and-mortar. Because, let's face it, the internet just doesn't cut it.

Alphabetize by author, or alphabetize by title, or random?
Well. I work in a library, so I should be saying author's last name. But my own shelves are actually really random, though they do tend to be grouped by author.

Keep, throw away, or sell?
Throw away?
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Keep dust jacket or toss it?
...but... but... it's pretty.

Read with dust jacket or remove it?
Normally I remove the dust jacket while reading unless I know it'll stay in place.

Short story or novel?
Novel.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
Series vs. author?
Question fail.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
If I'm tired, I read until the end of the chapter then stop.
So both?

Buy or borrow?
My library rocks, as do my friends. I try to borrow as much as possible - mainly because if I get in the habit of buying...

Well. I'd be a hobo.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse?
All three.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
I like a tidy ending with a bit of suspense if it's a series - flat out cliff hangers annoy the crud out of me.

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
ALL DAY READING! -throws confetti- A reading party!

Stand-alone or series?
Some things work better as series, others as stand-alones. I've read a lot of series, so... series?

Favorite series?
To answer that would be to condemn myself to a lifetime of uncertainty...

Favorite children’s book?
Where The Wild Things Are

Favorite YA book?
I refuse to answer due to my already questionable sanity.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer - for a famazing series, so many people haven't heard of it or haven't read it. But it's amazing.

Favorite books read last year?
So many! According to last year's blog post, it was The Hunger Games. And I would have to agree.

Favorite books of all time?
The Harry Potter series. The Bloody Jack series. The Hunger Games. Shiver. DragonRiders of Pern. The Queen Geek Social Club.

What are you reading right now?
Intertwined.

What are you reading next?
Probably a book for school.

Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old?
You mean books I recommended to my sister last year? Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries series.

Favorite book to re-read?
Harry Potter is always fun, as is Bloody Jack. And DragonRiders of Pern...

Do you ever smell books?
... just the old ones...

Do you ever read primary source documents like letters or diaries?
Psh no. Not unless I can help it.

---

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?
Lord of the Rings...

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?
PART-AY. It would be Jacky Faber from Bloody Jack, because she's amazing. Katniss from The Hunger Games, just to ask how she managed it. And Dimitri from Vampire Academy. For eye candy.

(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realize it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?
My math book.

Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it?
Most things in my tenth grade English class, actually...

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to ‘reread’ it that you haven’t? Which book?
Not off the top of my head. I've thought I hadn't read a book and then gone to read it and realized I've read it. (I've done this with The Golden Compass three times now.)

You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (If you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead and personalize the VIP.)
Everybody does seem to love The Hunger Games, but I might also offer Shiver or Bloody Jack.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?
English.

A mischievious fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?
Bloody Jack.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead—let your imagination run free.