Postcard For Reader

The Earth, My Butt, And Other Big Round Things

The Earth, My Butt, And Other Big Round Things
Author: Carolyn Mackler
Series: ---
Publisher: Candlewick Press
How Received: library

Fifteen-year-old Virginia Shreves has a larger-than-average body and a plus-size inferiority complex, especially when she compares herself to her slim, brilliant, picture-perfect family. But that’s before a shocking phone call — and a horrifying allegation — about her rugby-star brother changes everything.
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
Title win.

Now, I read it a while ago - why review it now? I didn't know what to say when I finished reading it other than the fact that it was a fantastic book. The characters were realistic, strong, and well developed. The plot line was well thought out, and Carolyn managed to find humor in some serious situations all while delivering a fantastic message.

I'm sure the main reason I didn't review this right away was because, though I loved Virginia, I couldn't relate to her. I've never been overweight, I tend to keep on the average curve - le gasp, a girl talking about her weight! The horror! - and therefore I couldn't analyze the character and what I would have done if it were her situation or if she was annoying me. And I think I liked it that way. I simply enjoyed reading about her and was rooting for her to win in the end.

All in all, it's a great book with a great message for anybody.

Overall Rating & Final Comments: I'm going to give it a 9/10 from what I remember. It could vary from a 8.2 to a 9.4, though.
T.E.M.B.A.O.B.R.T. or Same Difference?: Siobhan Vivian's Same Difference is one of my favorite books, and wins this battle. However, both are great books to read - both show how two vastly different girls have vastly different struggles and overcome them both in different ways. I'm a sucker for female characters that learn to kick some ass.

Hey, A Very Potter Musical fans - I definitely wouldn't give it more than a 9.8. There's always room for improvement.

Happy reading!

~N