Postcard For Reader

Covers

I'm the first to admit it; I'm a complete cover whore. Great covers make me want to read a book just that much more, and bad covers piss me off and make me want to put the book down.

Maybe I'm vain - I know not to judge books by their covers. I've read plenty of great books that have bad covers. But if I'm just browsing a book store and I want to buy something, I'm going to buy something that looks pretty on my book case before something that doesn't in that snap judgment call. Besides, if a book is good, wouldn't the publishers have invested in a good cover?

Look at Twilight. It's brain candy - but the series has some of my favorite covers ever. [No, I didn't include Breaking Dawn, because it's not a book; it's a fan fiction gone wrong.] I would have bought these books near solely on the covers.

Then there's the Luxe series, which I've mentioned before. I absolutely adore the covers - the dresses, the girls, the font. Sad, though - I hate the series. But wouldn't you want to showcase these covers!?

Even Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights recently had their covers redone - in the Twilight style. Though undoubtedly a move to attract the readers of Twilight, I won't argue - I like them. (Yeah, it even says Edward and Bella's favorite book on the corner of Wuthering Heights. Um, barf.)

And for every good cover on a bad book - or a good cover on a good book (or books that look excellent), in the case of the following:

... we have the bad covers for good books.

The Wicked series just had it's covers redone.
I ranted - loudly and obnoxiously - in Borders for ten minutes. (Needless to say, the employees were not pleased.)
I mean, take a look at the new Wicked cover.

The internet is smart; that's the biggest picture I could find for you guys. But I saw it in person. And as lovely as the concept is - they finally used a real person for Elphaba! - um, HELLO!? Horrible photoshopping done. If you wanted to have a real person as Elphaba, visit the Broadway cast and borrow their makeup, or go to Eden Espinosa and ask her to pose for you - something, ANYTHING, better than this horrible effort. (The same was done to Son of a Witch though, thankfully, nobody has to be photoshopped green.)

[EDIT]
Thank you, Kellyn! She uploaded the picture I took from my phone for me for you guys...

I mean. Look at the photoshopping on that. It doesn't look realistic at all. Seriously. SERIOUSLY!? This is what it should look like. [link] It's still green; it's still got the Wicked Witch element. It's just not a hideous shade of green that has been horribly photoshopped...

It's just - gar. Maybe I'm just a cover whore. But I love my good covers, and I hate my bad ones. (I could go on a rant for hours about the Wicked cover. No lie.)

-sigh- What about you guys? Am I the only cover whore out there?

~N