Postcard For Reader

Friday - Jessica Burkhart

It's going to be an excellent Friday. We have the weekend to look forward to. Avatar comes out today.

And, best news of all, Jessica Burkhart has stopped by as our next Holiday Friday author!

Jessica Burkhart is the author of the Canterwood Crest series. She's only twenty years old and she's already managed to publish eight excellent novels, all of which have been picked up for a made-for-TV movie. She also has an excellent blog that she updates on a regular basis.

N: Welcome, Jessica! What's been your favorite part about writing the Canterwood Crest series?

J: Working with my editor, Kate Angelella. Every time we get together to brainstorm, it always involves one or all of the following: large amounts of caffeine, mani/pedis, crazy-laughter and sparkles. She's incredibly talented and I'm lucky to have her on my side through every step of the process.

N: Mani/pedis rock. Let's go out on some wild limb here and assume you like horses. ;] If you could pick any horse to ride - breed, or color, or specific horse - what would you pick? (I'd choose The Black Stallion, myself - pure black Arabian love.)

J: Ohhh, I love the Black Stallion, too. I'd have to go with Secretariat. I'd love to ride him on a track and just let him go. Can you imagine the speed? What a rush!

N: On the topic of horses - which of the Canterwood horses is your favorite?

J: I've got to go with the main horse--Charm. He's got a personality all of his own and he's like a character in the books.

N: What was it like, going through your entire ordeal with scoliosis?

J: Honestly, it was painful both physically and mentally. I had to stop riding at thirteen and lost what I thought was going to be my career for the rest of my life. At that age, it was devastating. Now, though, I think it was actually one of the best things that's happened to me because it got me to the place I am right now, which is really, truly happy writing and living life.

N: What do your fans have to look forward to in the future? Do you plan on writing other things besides Canterwood?

J: I do plan to write more tween and to venture into YA. For the Canterwood fans, the series has been optioned for a made-for-TV movie, so fingers crossed that a network picks it up. I'd love to see it on screen. :)

N: Ooo-ooo-ooo! Can't wait to see that. I know it's difficult, but if you had to pick a favorite author, who would you choose?

J: This is an adult author, but Jeannette Walls who wrote The Glass Castle is my favorite.

N: QUICK. Leprechauns have taken over the world, and the only way to save humanity is to... write a limerick.

J: Oh, man! I'm going to be lame and claim my brain is fried from just turning in a book (which it is!) and forgo writing. Perhaps I'll write that limerick into my next book. ;)

N: La-ame. Nah, I get it. (However, if I see a limerick on leprechauns taking over the world in the next book... I think I'll die laughing.) Now, we're all dying to know - what presents do you want for this holiday season?

J: I really want to spend time with my friends. Everyone's crazy-busy and some one-on-one time watching reality TV, movies or just chilling sounds so perfect.

Thanks for stopping by, Jess! Looking for a last minute stocking stuffer? You can order her books online or pick them up/request them at your local book store.

~ Nicole