Postcard For Reader

Reason #1 I Will Go Broke

Barnes and Noble.

I swear, that store is like a drug. I go in and I just need one thing... and maybe one more... and that looks so nice...

Thankfully, I have a job and a cellphone for pictures so I can put on hold what I don't REALLY want to buy.

What did I buy?
Well, three Christmas presents that I can't post here. (Shh.)
And...

This famazingly gorgeous journal.
I saw it and could not resist picking it up. I mean, look at how pretty it is! They also have a blue journal with a white wing that's just as gorgeous.

Wicked by Gregory Maguire.
Anybody whose anybody knows how much I love this book and how much I love the Broadway musical. I had the money, so I finally picked it up. (Notice that it's not the cover based on the musical or the horrid cover that Borders offered. I wanted the original cover.)

"An astonishingly rich re-creation of the land of Oz, this book retells the story of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, who wasn't so wicked after all. Taking readers past the yellow brick road and into a phantasmagoric world rich with imagination and allegory, Wicked just might change the reputation of one of the most sinister characters in literature."

and Grania by Morgan Llywelyn.
What's lesser known, but as equally important as my love of Wicked the Musical, is my love of The Pirate Queen, which had a very short run on Broadway. The music was amazing, as was the cast. I never got a chance to see it live, though.
When I saw that it was based off of this book, I squealed and decided to purchase it in about a half of second. (Ironically, it was right under the Sweeney Todd book. Broadway musical books much?) I normally don't like Morgan Llywelyn's writing, but for this plot, who cares!?

Grania (Gaelic for Grace) is no ordinary female. And she lives in extraordinary times. For even as Grania rises as her clan's unofficial head and breadwinner and learns to love a man, she enters a lifelong struggle against the English forces of Queen Elizabeth -- her nemesis and alter ego.

Elizabeth intends to destroy Grania's piracy and shipping empire--and so subjugate Ireland once and for all. But Grania, aided by Tiernan, her faithful (and secretly adoring) lieutenant, has no choice but to fight back. The story of her life is the story of Ireland's fight for solidarity and survival--but it's also the story of Grania's growing ability to love and be strong at the same time.

Then, of course, there's what I want to buy. (Or just read. I'd be happy with just reading them.) Click to read summaries.
(Warning: I seem to be on some sort of historical fiction kick.)