Postcard For Reader

Barnes and Noble

Guess who spent her Saturday night at Barnes and Noble?
No, not Nicole Kidman.
Me!

The two books I decided to buy this time around - thanks for the giftcard, Ale! - were Mercedes Lackey's The Phoenix Unchained, the first novel in that series and my own copy of Graceling by Kristin Cashore. Graceling was only ten dollars in paperback, and the Phoenix book was a discount bargain - six dollars for the hardcover.

Ready for the wishlist this time around? (A lot of the books I took pictures of won't be on the wishlist because I want their covers for Friday Fronts. What can I say? I'm a cover whore.) Remember, click to read more.

There was an Ireland photo book, too, but I didn't write down the name. c.c

They had a really gorgeously boxed set of Wicked and Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire that I thought was adorable.

And this sign made me DELIRIOUSLY HAPPY.

Oh, I lied. I bought Dragonheart by Todd McCaffrey on top of it all. (Not that I need another McCaffrey book. I'm up to over thirty of them.) But now it's story time!

I wasn't originally planning on buying another McCaffrey book - I have enough, and I'm getting tired of the continuation of the series. But as my friend Kellyn and I wander around, I see a copy of it, lying with it's cover and first few pages bent on the floor. I pick it up and glance at it.

I have a soft spot for badly cared for books - take, for instance, my Kool-Aid stained copy of Crank that I picked up at a garage sale - so I decide on the spot to buy it.

"I'm going to ask the people at the desk to knock a couple dollars off. Nobody's going to buy this one, especially with others at the desk."

Two hours later.

I head up to the front desk to pay and explain the situation to the (rather awesome, might I add) salesman at the front.

"I think we can knock a few bucks off, but hold on, and I'll get the manager. She has to make the call." I wait.

The manager comes over with an unbent version of Dragonheart. "Here, you can take this one."

"No, you don't understand. I want the bent one."
"Well, we can't take money off."
"Why?"
"Well, we'd just send it back to the company."
"And they would..."
"Toss it."

So, naturally, I bought it at full price. I refuse to let this poor little book go to waste. And the awesome salesman does a wonderful thing. He lets me use my friend's B&N card - which is technically not allowed in our store - and gives me a greater discount than the one I had asked for with the few bucks knocked off.

Take that, evil B&N manager.

Anybody else buy any good books lately?