Postcard For Reader

Final Fridays - Julie Kagawa

Anybody who reads WORD knows how much I absolutely adored The Iron King when I snagged an ARC of it back in January. It's came out at the beginning of Februrary - and now, author Julie Kagawa has stopped by to talk about it!

N: Welcome, J! Your debut novel, The Iron King, just came out. I absolutely adored it, and I know everybody else will, too. Why don't you give us a quick summary, in your words, on what it's about? (Bonus points if you do it in the form of a poem.)

J: How about a limerick?

On Meghan’s sixteenth birthday
She begins seeing glimpses of fey.
Her brother they steal,
And she must make a deal
With The Iron King to save the day.

N: Bonus points awarded! *applause* Now... ya gotta love faeries. Which faerie is your favorite? *cough*Puckofcourse.*cough*

J: Ah, sorry. But I’d have to say Ash is my favorite, because I’ve always had a soft spot for Bad Boys who can wield pointy objects. Puck was more fun to write, though.

N: More Puck for me! IT'S RAINING _____.

J: *Sings* “Men! Hallelujah, it’s raining me-en, uh huh!”

N: Hmm. I was going to go with jello bits, but that works, too. On the mention of awesome songs - your Iron King playlist is pretty awesome. Which artists is your favorite of all of those listed? You have quite a variety.

J: Thank you! My favorite artists are Within Temptation; I like pretty much all of their albums. But, my favorite song would have to be Fall For You, by SecondHand Serenade. It’s Ash and Meghan’s theme, and I’m a sucker for love songs.

N: Love songs are lovely. If you could play any musical instrument, what would it be?

J: I used to play the flute, long looooooong ago, back before high school. I’ve completely forgotten everything, but it would be nice to get back into it.

N: Anybody wanna send Julie a flute? Just joking! What are some of your writing techniques?

J: Normally, I try for 1,000 to 1,200 words a day when working on a novel. Except when I’m doing NaNo Wrimo, and the quota jumps to 1,700. At that point, I’m pretty much just typing whatever comes to mind without stopping to think about it. The Iron King was written as a NaNo project, so I’m pretty sure it works. :)

N: Quick! Bring one person back from the dead. Stick them in a scenario where it would be exceptionally awkward.

J: Um … Elvis at an Elvis lookalike convention.

N: Ooo. That is awkward. Hey, it's worth a shot - willing to give us any hints as to what may happen in the sequel?

J: Well, for all of you Puck admirers, the second book will be for you. Not giving away what happens, but you’ll definitely want to watch out for it. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by, Julie!

Sweet! Since she's so pro-Ash, I'm betting it's either told through Puck's point of view or Meghan starts realizing how epically awesome Puck is. Or something else I don't know. Don't forget to check your local stores for The Iron King - go buy it! It rocks!

Or order it online: Barnes and Noble | Amazon | Borders