Postcard For Reader

Alice? The Alice?

I had the pleasure of seeing Alice in Wonderland on March 5th. The theater I went to was sold out; I went with two of my best friends (and my brother, poor dear, he gets dragged along to everything) and was prepared with Milk Duds and soda and popcorn.

And I have to say - it. was. fantastic.

The graphics were amazing, the plot line was well thought out, and the 3-D effects were absolutely wonderful. What made the movie, though, was the characters.

The casting was done perfectly. Helena makes an AMAZING Red Queen - if it weren't for the Mad characters, I'd say she stole the show. She's funny and evil and, most importantly, human. Her character is relatable.

But then you have the Mad characters - the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, and the Dormouse. They're all completely different, all raving mad, and all wonderfully lovable. JDepp as the Mad Hatter is fantastic. On the other hand, he could play a telephone and I'd think he was fantastic. But he alternated between a British accent and a Scottish brogue - the brogue came out whenever the Hatter got mad. The Dormouse was adorable. She's a spunky little thing that absolutely adores the Hatter, and I found that to be famazing. And the March Hare? I. Love. Him. He's my favorite of all the mad characters (yes! even more so than the Hatter!) because he'll just stop and stare at something for a good minute, then say what it is. It's hilarious.

I was a bit worried about the Chesire Cat and the Caterpillar, but both worked out WONDERFULLY.

Anne Hathaway made a good White Queen - she captured the character pretty well, I thought. Am I forgetting anybody? OH! Mia as Alice. A very good job, I thought - I can't picture anybody else playing the character, so that's good.

On a side note, I want all of Alice's dresses. Especially the one she wears in the Red Queen's castle.

I'm really excited to get my hands on the book version.

Have you guys seen it yet? What do you think?