Postcard For Reader

Jane Slayre?
I am a person who cares about what other people say. So whenever I say something negative about a book, I pray to Oz that whoever likes said book won't see it, because then I feel guilty. I pray about ten times more when I've never read said book and am simply saying something about a concept. Like, say, adaptions of classics that involve zombies or vampires or werewolves.

And then my worst nightmare happens.

The author comments.

You heard me. If you click here you'll see the comment that Sherri Browning Erwin posted about my comments on her novel Jane Slayre. True, it was clustered in with a bunch of other books that had similar concepts, but I had singled Jane Slayre out because it's an adaption of Jane Eyre.

Jane. My heroine of all heroines. Who marries Rochester. My love of all loves. In my classic of all classics. So, yes, I looked down on it a little.

And now I feel guilty. I don't want to feel guilty. I have no reason to. But she made valid points!

"...that's why I decided to do Jane Slayre, the desire to want to explore new angles of Charlotte's work but to do it in a way more in keeping with Charlotte's original tone and to keep the love between Jane and Rochester a strong focus."

"My love for the original made me want to take time and care to do it right. If I was going to add something, it wasn't going to be plunked down in the middle of Charlotte's words with no rhyme or reason just to be funny."

"I had fun and it was done with love and with proper attention to Charlotte's original."

And she said, "If you do read it and want me to come back to discuss it, I would be happy to talk with you. Drop me an email."

So maybe I will read it. I mean, I do like vampires. And Jane Eyre. (And Rochester. *swoon*) It comes out April 13. Maybe I'll pick it up after all, if I can find a copy.

And then maybe I shall take Sherri up on her offer. Maybe.

We'll see if I like it first.

Moral of this blog post: Fight feelings of guilt where they do not belong, and give things a shot.
Other moral of this blog post: Vampires and classics do not always mix.