Postcard For Reader

Final Fridays - Tony Hurley

How could I possibly pick one Halloween worthy author for the Final Fridays interview, especially since we've had so many awesome authors contributing over the past few days?

Easy - just pick the one that reminds you of Halloween as soon as you look at the book!

Tonya Hurley is the author of the amazing ghostgirl series. If you haven't checked it out, read the summary for the first book and check out the trailer (spoiler free!) for the third one in the series.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
And if I should die before I awake,
I pray the popular attend my wake.

Charlotte Usher feels practically invisible at school, and then one day she really is invisible. Even worse: she's dead. And all because she choked on a gummy bear. But being dead doesn't stop Charlotte from wanting to be popular; it just makes her more creative about achieving her goal.

If you thought high school was a matter of life or death, wait till you see just how true that is. In this satirical, yet heartfelt novel, Hurley explores the invisibility we all feel at some times and the lengths we'll go to be seen.

And you know the drill - click Read More to get the full, Halloween inspired, ghost filled interview!

N: Welcome to WORD, Tonya! What inspired you to write Charlotte Usher's tale?
TH: I was inspired by my own high school experience mostly. I think I was more like Charlotte on the inside, and a lot like Scarlet on the outside. I got the actual idea when I was working on a TV show in LA and I realized how much Hollywood is like high school. I started to think back about my own life and the idea of invisibility came up. How we’re all trying to get noticed some way or another. How we’re all desperate to be seen.

N: What do you think of the ghostgirl covers? I think they're peeeerfect.
TH: Thank you. I adore the covers. I spent a lot of time on the art direction for ghostgirl on the website and Little, Brown and Company did an excellent job translating that into book covers. I am very lucky that they involved me. When they first presented me with the actual book cover, I held it in my hands and cried. You dream and fantasize about what you want something to look like, but it never really turns out the way you expect or hope. It was like they were in my head.

N: Awww! I'm glad you think they're perfect, too. Who is your favorite character in the series?
TH: I don’t think I could pick a favorite. I think there’s a little of me in all of them. Charlotte and Scarlet are most like me, so they were probably the hardest to write. I had lots of fun writing The Wendys and Petula. And, I think we all need a Piccolo Pam in our lives, or afterlives.

N: The ghostgirl cake on Ace of Cakes was awesome! Did you like it?
TH: Yes, I loved it! I didn’t expect it to look like that. I remember talking to Duff on the phone and he was asking me what I’d like. I had no idea she’d be life-size! It was such a great night at the Jefferson Market Library. Vince Clarke was there to perform his score to my reading of an excerpt of from ghostgirl Homecoming, which was incredibly special because he also did the music for the audiobooks. It’s been incredible having Vince compose original scores and Parker Posey narrating those. And then the cake to top it all off! The whole Ace Of Cakes cast was there and it was quite surreal. I remember driving home with her head in the back of my car. She had her eyes fixed on me the whole ride. It was thrilling and, yes, somewhat creepy. Everyone asks if the cake was actually good and I’m here to say – it was heavenly!

N: Are you Team Potter or Team Cullen?
TH: Can't we all just get along?

N: What is your favorite Halloween candy? (Gummy bears?)
TH: I love all Halloween candy! I do not discriminate.

N: I have to discriminate - the chocolate is always the best! What is your favorite part about Halloween?
TH: The classic monster and B horror movie marathons on TV.

N: What's the best prank you can pull?
TH: Well, I am an identical twin, so you do the math.

Thanks for stopping by, Tonya! Don't forget to pick up the gorgeous ghostgirl series from your local bookstore, or order it at your favorite website!

Everybody - are YOU ready for a ghosty Halloween? It's just two days away!