Postcard For Reader

Song Quest

Song Quest
Author: Katherine Roberts
Series: The Echorium Sequence (#1)
Publisher: Scholastic
How Received: library

Welcome to a world from another time -- where legendary half-creatures still exist. A world where nature itself can be controlled by unearthly music. A world where the forces of good and evil are held in harmony by the Singers who have mastered the secret Songs of Power. A world on the brink of destruction, threatened by a dark lord whose evil knows no bounds. Rialle and Kherron, two novice Singers, are all that's left to stand in the enemy's way. Stranded in a strange land with only one another to rely on, these former rivals must work together if they are to survive. In a timeless coming-of-age journey, Rialle and Kherron discover the strength of spirit that lies within them in their quest to help good triumph over evil.
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
Katherine Roberts has created a fantastical world that I was sad to leave.

I'm a big fan of any story that has a basis in singing. Anne McCaffrey's Crystal Singer books are some of my favorites, and I have yet to find another book combining singing and fantasy that I've enjoyed - that is, until Song Quest.

I loved the different types of song - I thought they tied in so fantastically, especially to me and my friends, who thrive on music. (I have to say, that's part of our generation - we NEED our music to survive.) Seeing the different types and what they could do was amazing.

The Half-Creatures were my favorite part of the story. I LOVE fantasy beasts, and these were beautifully well crafted. As for the actual humans in the story, I liked Rialle, though I felt as if she was too passive sometimes - though, in her situation, it was understandable. I LOVED watching Kherron's development throughout the story - he was definitley my favorite character.

My only problem with the story were a few minor characters that didn't really get explained (hello? what is up with Chissar?) and the very abrupt and open ending. The thing with fantasies is that I like knowing what happens to the characters - don't just leave me hanging, wondering if they were eaten by quatzals.

Overall Rating & Final Comments: 9/10. A beautiful fantasy world with interesting characters, but a rushed ending.