Postcard For Reader

Thoughts On: eBooks v. Books

Anybody who knows me knows that I have sworn never to own an eReader.

I do not like eBooks. Me personally, that is.

For everybody who uses them, I think they're great. I was super excited to find out Melina got a eReader for Christmas; I think it's bloody brilliant. The concept of being able to carry around a whole bunch of books in something so small and compact is great. It makes it easier to read whatever you want to read without worrying about people judging you by the cover. It's great for the publishing industry because more people will want to read.

So if you like eBooks, great for you. I have nothing against you.

However, when I say I don't like them personally, people usually get all up in arms and start defending them. They don't have to, I know the pros.

I just love my actual books too much.

Giles: "If it's to last, then the getting of knowledge should be tangible. It should be, um, smelly."

There's something about holding them, feeling them, having them, that's comforting to me. I own far too many and they're slowly consuming my room; I LOVE them. My old Anne McCaffrey books remind me of my father every time I touch them. My copy of Perfect Chemistry has writing all over the inside of the cover - my friend Lauren wrote me a letter inside when she gave it to me for graduation. I have a shelf full of favorite books that I and only I can touch. (My brother and sister are exempt from this rule, and only because I keep trying to convince them to use them for school projects.)

I like the physical presence of books. You can own all the books you want on a Kindle or a Nook and say that you're saving space; I want boxes of books and one day, THIS.

I have nothing against eBooks for people who want to use them. But for me, it's not as personal. I love my computer; I love my Droid; if I had a Kindle or a Nook or whatever else is out there I'd probably love it too.

But I ADORE my books on a more personal level. Each one is individual - and considering I have multiple copies of some books, that's saying something. I know the rips and tears and where everything goes. I know which ones have stains and which ones are autographed and which ones smell because they're just that old.

They're my babies.

So yes, I think eBooks are great - for the industry, for people, for everything.

But I'll stick with my real life, torn apart, space consuming, smelly, books.