Postcard For Reader

Geekery (What You Need If You're A Geek)

So I was in the shower the other day, thinking - as I often do while in the shower - and my thoughts wandered off to why 'nerds' somehow has a more positive connotation than 'geeks'. Personally, I love both words - and geek is my preferred of the two - and then I kept thinking about geeky stuff.

And then my brain, being an organized place, compiled a list of things that I thought were essential to my being a geek. And part of it is, of course, the love of internet and the Vlogbrothers and literature and all of that, and part of it is - you know - the fun stuff.

Geeky Books

For The Female Protagonist: Queen Geek Social Club
Author: Laura Preble
Genre: Contemporary
Read my review here.

If you're somebody like Shelby Chappelle, a smart, witty, pretty geek army of one, you can't just put a poster up at school and advertise for somebody to be your best friend. But now freakishly tall Becca Gallagher has moved to town, with her dragon tattoo and wild ideas. Suddenly Shelby's madscientist father and their robot, Euphoria, seem normal. They become best friends instantly. But Becca wants to shake things up at school and look for "others of our kind"...and decides to form the Queen Geek Social Club.

The thing is, this guy Fletcher Berkowitz keeps nosing around, asking lots of questions about the Club. He's cute, and interesting, and possibly likes Shelby. Therefore, she must torture him. One good thing about being a loner: no one can break your heart.

I mean, if the name isn't enough for you, I don't know what is. But this is one of the books that makes me proud to be a female geek. And it's a lot of fun to read.

For The Male Protagonist: Geek Fantasy Novel
Author: E. Archer
Genre: Fantasy
Read my review here.

What happens when a science geek and magic collide?

Be careful what you wish for. Really. Because wishes are bad. Very bad. They can get you trapped in fantasy worlds full of killer bunny rabbits, evil aunts, and bothersome bacteria, for example. Or at least that's Ralph's experience. He's been asked to spend the summer with his strange British relatives at their old manor house in order to set up their Wi-Fi network. But there's much more to it than that, of course. It's just that nobody told Ralph. He's a gamer, sure. But this game is much stranger--and funnier--than anything to be found on his xbox.

He is a geek. This is his story.

Asploding bunnies! Fairy godmothers! Geeky boys! It's an absolutely fantastic story; I loved it.

Geeky Games
For The Female Protagonist: Portal (& Portal 2)

I absolutely adore Portal to the point where I've been rebuilding props for the game just to have in my room. The point of the game is to get through all the tests of Apeture Science - alive, of course.

For The Male Protagonist: Fable (& Fable 2) (& Fable 3)

Fable was the first game I ever really got into; it's an RPG set on a fantasy world where you're given various quests. You get to choose whether you get to become good (I always chose good) or evil (you grow demon horns!). It has a soft spot in my heart. I think it's a good game to introduce people to RPGs with.

Geeky Television
For The Female Protagonist: Fringe

Both of the shows I'm about to list are science fiction, so you're going to have to deal with me here. Now, I lost interest in Fringe halfway through Season 2 simply because I didn't have time to keep up with the show - but it doesn't make it any less interesting. It's about Olivia Dunham and her work with the Fringe division of the CIA. They follow The Pattern - events of supernatural tendencies - and try to figure out what the hell is going on.

For The Male (and female companion) Protagonist: Doctor Who

I LOVE Doctor Who. It's quite possibly my favorite television show of all time. It's absolutely brilliant, and there's no possible way I can describe the plot without sounding ridiculous, so here's a fan made trailer.

What are your geek necessities?