Postcard For Reader

Ruby Red

Ruby Red
Author: Kerstin Gier
Series: Edelstein Trilogie (#1)
Publisher: Henry Holt & Co.
How Received: review copy

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.
Buy | Borrow | Brush Off
I had heard a few good things about Ruby Red before cracking it open, but honestly, I wasn't really paying much attention to it. It looked cute, and it had a cool cover.

I didn't expect one of the best YA books I've read. Ever. It's understandable why it's an international bestseller; it's bloody fantastic.

The great thing about following Gwen (who has a variation of my favorite name for a female of all time) is that, like her, you get just enough of the story to understand what's going on while still being left confused and in the dark. The only benefit you get that Gwen doesn't is the prologue and epilogue, which leave you certain of who is the good guy and who is the bad guy, which I love - because, let's face it, if the rest of the series is as good as this one, we may be wrong after all.

The characters were fantastic. I loved Gwen and how she managed to defy being normal and be normal all at the same time. The ghost were fantastic. The friendship between Gwen and Lesley? LOVED it! Why aren't there more awesome friendships in YA novels!?

And we can't leave out Hot Guy. I mean, Gideon. Same thing. I like him - I hope I'll like him more as the book goes on, because right now he's a hot guy who only managed to redeem himself in the last few chapters of the book. Maybe that was the point.

The other characters - Gwen's family, the people she works with, the people she meets when she goes back in time - are all just as interesting as Gwen herself, and I look forward to reading more about them.

And this plot and world is brilliant and awesome and amazing and I can't go on about it more than that without spoiling it for you.

This was the first time in a long while that I finished the book and actually went and reread parts of it right away. I'm longing for the sequel, even if it means I have to go out and buy it myself.

Overall Rating & Final Comments: 10/10. Absolutely fantastic and rereadable. A must read for anybody who likes YA.
Cover Comments: For some reason I keep confusing this cover with The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making. Not sure why.