Postcard For Reader

Thoughts On: YA vs. Non-YA

This has been a debate ranging over the internet for a while. What makes YA so good? What makes it better than non-YA* books? Why is YA so bad? Why is it worse?

*By non-YA, I'll be talking about adult fiction.

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn which type you prefer.

Before starting WORD, I had just as much, if not more, adult fiction on my shelves than I did young adult literature. I still have an entire bookcase dedicated to adult science-fiction and fantasy novels. Adult historical fiction peppers my bookcase, as does the occasional adult romance. (I'm a sucker for Sarah Maclean.)

But I still love reading YA. Until I got to the internet, I never realized you had to choose which side you were on - adult fiction or YA.

Why?

This seems so stupid to me, especially to people who argue one side or another. First off, because it's about taste most of all - if you don't like adult fiction, or the adult fiction you've read, of course you're going to say YA lit is better. (And vice-versa.)

Yes, as a whole, young adult literature and adult fiction are written differently. From what I've seen, young adult tends to have a faster pace and a slightly easier to read writing style. Less heavy description, etc. Adult fiction, especially fantasy, takes it a little slower and can lay on the description.

Besides that, the only differences are the main characters' ages and where they're put in a bookstore.

I love both adult fiction and young adult fiction.

You can argue for it either way, I suppose, but for every brilliant adult novel I've read, I can bring up a young adult novel in the same genre that I've loved just as much.

And I'm not quite sure why people need to sniff their nose up at one or the other.

So haters gonna hate.

And I'm gonna read.

Both adult AND YA.