Postcard For Reader

Top Ten Books I Bought Because Of Their Covers

I don't participate in Top Ten Tuesday discussions, mostly because ninety nine point nine percent of my posts are scheduled at least three days in advance. (What?! I like to be organized.) Every now and then I see a topic that gets me thinking, and I really liked last week's topic: Top Ten Books Bought Because Of Their Covers. (You can read Kristi's post, which is where I found out about it, over here.)

It's no secret that I'm the biggest coverwhore out there (well, at least one of them), so covers always play a part in picking a book - after all, something has to make me want to pick them up. I'll be picking books I probably would have bought if I hadn't gotten them for review as well as books I bought based (mostly) on cover.

10. The Need series by Carrie Jones

... I like glittery things, okay? That's really my only defense for my love of these covers.

09. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

As much as I hate the books now, I shamelessly love the covers. There's a simplicity to them that draws me in. I love the religious symbolism here, too - here, come, take the apple from the Garden of Eden! (Does that make the snake Edward? ... ick.)

08. Firelight by Sophie Jordan
Let's face it - I would have ended up getting these books anyway, simply because they have dracon involved. But the cover! THE COVER! I'm not a big fan of half face anymore (#4 on the list does it extremely well) but the makeup here is so bloody gorgeous that I couldn't help but flail over it.

07. The Julian Game by Adele Griffin
The entire reason I wanted to read this book was for the cover - the description sounded alright, but I put aside my reservations because the cover was so badass. Something that awesome couldn't be bad, right?

Well, I haven't read it yet, so I don't know. I'll get to it... eventually!

06. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Fun fact: If I hadn't seen this cover, I would never have even known these books existed. There was a big display for them in my Waldenbooks store and I loved the cover of Azkaban so much that I asked my mom to get the first two in the series so I could read that one. And so my love of them began...

05. Going Bovine by Libba Bray
... it's a cow.
Carrying a garden gnome.
It's a COW.
Carrying a GNOME.
I needed it from the moment I saw it.
Mind you, I still haven't read it yet, but I own it!

And like you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of simple-thing-on-a-black-cover. (See #9.)

04. The Uglies trilogy by Scott Westerfeld
It wasn't just one cover that made me want to read them; it was all the covers sitting next to each other on the shelf looking absolutely gorgeous. The books had already been suggested to me by a friend, and I ended up absolutely loving them - and the covers fit the books so bloody well

03. Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Um, I lust after this cover in a rather unhealthy kind of way. I love its focus on all the little details. It's like going, "Hey! Look at the symbolism in this artwork! Isn't it pretty!? OH, and it ties into the book!" I want it as a poster.

02. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I'm a big fan of simple, symbolic covers - the only reason The Scorpio Races isn't on this list is because I would have bought it based on the name before I even saw the cover. But this cover (and the covers for the entire series) are bloody gorgeous.

01. Matched by Allie Condie
Now, I ended up getting this at BookExpo America the year it came out and not having to buy it - which was a good thing for me, as the book and I just didn't click. However, I had been lusting after it from the moment I saw the cover. I was more intrigued about the book from the cover than I was from the plot summary!

Do you guys have any of the same books on your list? What covers do you absolutely need to own?