Postcard For Reader

I'm taking a class on young adult literature.

I know; it shouldn't really count as a class for me, right? It should just be me sitting there nodding and giggling when people say stupid things.

But hey: it's being taught by the same teacher who did my Jane Austen class (and my English Literature II class) and I absolutely love her, so why not take it? I can't even say it'll be an easy A either, because Jackie - my teacher - has really high standards for my writing.

It should be fun, though!

She's taking it from a "history of young adult literature" perspective, so there's not a lot of modern things in there - I kept trying to convince her to put in Beauty Queens by Libba Bray, but alas - but it does look like fun. I've read most of them already, too, so the reading isn't all that bad.

Here's what we're reading. The * are the ones I've read

  • Seventeenth Summer by Maureen Daly
  • The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger*
  • The Chocolate War by Robert Corimer
  • The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton*
  • Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
  • Skellig by David Almond
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins*
  • Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block
  • Monster by Walter Dean Myers*
  • The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
  • Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson*

I'm really excited for whatever discussion will come up for The Hunger Games! I was kind of disappointed that she went with the traditional Speak instead of Anderson's Wintergirls, but since she's taking it from a historical point of view, I suppose I understand why that one made the list. The only one I'm not looking forward to is Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block. I don't like her writing style. Just... ick. And after seeing the reviews for Seventeenth Summer on Goodreads, I'm not that excited for that one, either.

Have any of you guys taken a class in YA lit? Do you want to?