Postcard For Reader

Top Ten - er, Six Books I'd Give A Theme Song

I love music. Love, love, love music. So I usually have things on in the background when I'm listening to songs, and every now and then something fits.

Unfortunately, I'm REALLY BAD at remembering what I pair together. So here!

05. Cinder & "Ever Ever After"
Listen on YouTube.

Storybook endings, fairytales coming true.
Deep down inside we all wanna believe they still do...
Let's just admit we all wanna make it to ever ever after.

ALL fairy tale retellings remind me of "Ever Ever After," but Cinder sticks out particularly - I'm not sure why, especially considering I didn't exactly love it. But whenever I hear "Ever Ever After" now, I think of Cinder!

05. Bloody Jack & "Femme Fatale"
No link.

You used me.
You said you needed to be free.
You're a femme fatale:
deadly but beautiful.

No, no, not the Britney Spears song - the Oliver Tompsett one! I'm sad nobody knows this song, because I love pairing it with some of my favorite (and most deadly) female heroines, especially the ones who tend to manipulate people and get them to love her to move themselves forward in life. And who is a better example of that than the pirate herself, Bloody Jacky Faber?

04. The Fault In Our Stars & "If I Die Young"
Listen on YouTube.

There's a boy here in town
Says he'll love me for ever.
Who would have though forever would be severed by
The sharp knife of a short life?
Well, I've had just enough time.

It's no secret that I love "If I Die Young," especially as it's based on one of my favorite Arthurian poems. (Alfred Tennyson's "The Lady of Shalott.") I was listening to it on my Sad & Emotional Song playlist - don't judge me - and I immediately thought of The Fault In Our Stars. It somehow fits it really well... at least, I think so.

03. Jane Eyre & "Sirens"
Listen on YouTube.

She saves me, but I can't be saved;
frees me, but I'm still enslaved.
Now I battle what I most adore.

I'm unashamedly taking a cheap route out and saying that yes, a song from the Broadway version of a story reminds me of the actual story. To be fair, this doesn't happen often - Wicked won't make this list, because the novel version and the Broadway version don't remind me of each other. But I do love this song - and the entire musical, actually - because they do such a good job at staying true to the book. So yes, "Sirens" reminds me of the novel it's actually based on.

02. The Harry Potter series & "This Is War"
Listen on YouTube.

A warning to the prophet, the liar, the honest
This is war
To the leader, the pariah, the victim, the messiah
This is war

To be fair, I associate this song with basically every fantasy fight ever. (BBC's MERLIN, ABC's ONCE UPON A TIME, all the other fantasy books I've ever read.) But it really meshes will with Rowling's books, simply because there is such a connection with every single individual person they call out. You can find a character that matches.

01. Stay & "I Know Things Now"
Listen on YouTube.

I had been so careful.
I never had cared.
And he made me feel excited -
well, excited and scared.

When I first read Deb Caletti's Stay, "I Know Things Now" was stuck in my head for the rest of the day - in fact, I thought it fit the characters so much it made my original review. With everything that the main character goes through, I feel like the song Little Red sings about her time with the Big Bad Wolf really fits the book. Besides, I love INTO THE WOODS.

I liked this Top Ten Tuesday. Do you agree with any of my choices? What would you pick?